Chapter Five

*Davina*

Calix looked so broken. His eyes were full of pain and I wondered if it was something I'd said.

"Hey," I called out soothingly as I touched his arm, "Talk to me. What's wrong?"

"It's nothing," he assured me.

"Don't lie to me, Calix," I told him, "I'm an empath, remember? I know something's wrong. You can talk to me."

"There's more to the prophecy than you know," he admitted.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The Fated Four...each member is bound to one of the Fates. They're meant to heal us, break our curse," Calix explained, "Clary, Rose, and Avalon are all bound to my brothers."

And then I started to put it together. I was one of the Fated Four and there was only one Fate left, which meant that...

"So I'm bound to you?" I asked.

"Yes, but there's more to it than that," Calix explained, "The Fated Four are the soulmates of the Four Fates, which means that..."

"I'm yours," I realized, "How do I break your curse?"

"No," Calix told me.

"What do you mean 'no'?" I asked.

"Davina...I'm going to have to be really vulnerable in front of you for that to happen and I don't know if I'm ready," Calix admitted as he bit his lip, "I don't want you to see my pain. You don't deserve to be subjected to that."

"Calix...you don't deserve to be left in pain," I told him, soothingly, "But if you're not ready then I'll wait until you are."

"Why are you so eager to help me?" he asked, "You haven't known me for that long."

"Maybe, but I want to know you, Calix," I admitted, "I want to help you."

"I know, and I appreciate that," Calix assured me, "Just, be patient with me."

"I will," I promised.

He nodded and I felt him calm down a little. Calix looked at me with those gorgeous dark blue eyes of his and I felt my heart skip a beat.

Was I falling in love with Calix?

No.

Was I attracted to him?

Maybe.

Regardless, I was curious about him. I wanted to know more about him.

"I can feel you're curiosity, Davina," Calix told me, "You have questions, don't you?"

I nodded.

"I do, but I don't think this is the right time to ask them," I admitted.

"No, go ahead. It might help me calm down some more," Calix replied.

"I want to know more about you," I admitted, "Can I ask you some questions? It's okay if you say no."

"Ask whatever you want. I'll answer your questions as best I can," he assured me, "Like I said, it might help me calm down."