Chapter Six

*Calix*

I stood near Acheron's river the next morning. Davina hadn't arrived for training yet, so I figured I could use the time to discuss some things with Acheron.

He appeared in his usual vortex of water and looked at me curiously.

"Davina hasn't arrived yet?" he asked.

"No," I replied, "But I'm sure she's on her way. However, I was hoping I could talk to you."

"What about?" Acheron asked.

"A few things," I replied, "Firstly, has the ingredient bloomed yet?"

"Not yet," he replied, "But it will soon, I'm sure."

"Secondly, why haven't you told Davina about her Mother?" I asked. Acheron looked at me in surprise.

"How did you—?" he began.

"Lord Hades and Lady Persephone told me about her," I explained, "Why haven't you told Davina?"

"I...I didn't want her to blame herself, Calix," Acheron admitted, "It wasn't her fault."

"That doesn't mean you should hide the fact that her Mother died in labour," I told him.

"What?" a voice gasped. I inhaled sharply and turned around. Her eyes held confusion and sadness. Her small frame shook as she tried to get a grip on her emotions. I wanted nothing more than to wrap her in my arms and soothe her pain, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to handle being so close to her when she was feeling this way. Already her sadness was ripping my heart apart and I did my best not to show it.

"Davina I—" Acheron began, but Davina cut him off.

"No! You never talk about her, so if you're going to make an excuse to get out of it...I don't want to hear it," she told him, "Just tell me...is what Calix said true? Did my Mother die giving birth to me?"

"She did," Acheron replied. Davina fell to her knees. I pulled her up and into my arms. Curse or no curse, I needed to be there for her. She buried her face into my chest and I felt her anguish shoot through me. "It wasn't your fault," Acheron assured his daughter.

"What...what was her name?" Davina asked shakily.

"Adara," Acheron said quietly, his voice fraught with sadness, "Adara Gryffon. Part of my river flows through the human world and she approached my shores one day. A beauty unlike any other I'd ever seen, I fell in love with her. She captivated me. We courted for a while and eventually she fell pregnant. Adara was so happy at the thought of becoming a Mother. She loved you so much, Davina. But things went terribly wrong the day you arrived. There were complications and she lost a lot of blood. She didn't survive the birth. Thanatos came for her soul and I was left with a newborn daughter. I begged Lord Hades to let you come to the Underworld hope so that I could raise you as your Father. He agreed and offered to House you in his palace. The night I brought you to the Underworld, I felt Adara's soul cross over my river in Charon's boat. I heard her soul call out for me and as she left the boat and went to the Plains of Judgement, she turned back and whispered 'I love you' to my waters." A few tears fell from Acheron's eyes as he continued, "I heard her, but I wasn't able to reach out and hold her, even though I desperately wanted to. Lord Hades informed me that Adara had been sentenced to Elysium and I had mixed feelings about it. I loathe the fact that I cannot leave my river and see her, but I am pleased that she is in a better place."