Chapter Fourteen

*Calix*

I found myself swimming in an ocean and heard the sounds of battle. I instantly knew where I was, Ares' emotional aura. I'd made it. Now I just needed to find something we could use against the God of War.

I reached the surface and spotted Ares on the shore. He was battling Athena. It looked like a training session, though I couldn't be sure. They were both dressed in full armour and swinging their swords at each other.

"Why did you challenge me of all people, Ares?" Athena asked.

"Because, you think you're so smart, Athena," Ares growled, "You think war is about strategy. Well it's not! War is about strength!"

"You're mistaken, Ares!" Athena shot back as she struck him with her sword, "War is just as much about strength as it is about strategy."

Ares growled angrily and made to strike Athena, but she saw the attack coming and dodged it. Ares attacked again, but Athena blocked it. He attacked once more and Athena dodged it before countering with an attack of her own. Athena used her sword and forced Ares off balance and then knocked his feet out from under him.

She disarmed him and held her sword to his throat.

"Do you know what your problem is Ares?" Athena asked.

"I have a feeling you're about to tell me," Ares replied.

"You're too hot headed and impulsive," Athena replied, "You make rash decisions on the battlefield and sometimes it works, but other times it could cost you the whole battle."

Ares said nothing, but I felt him boiling with anger and it started cutting my skin like a knife.

I had spent too much time here and now I was drowning. I slipped beneath ocean's surface as Ares' anger continued to cut me, hoping to escape, but it was no use. The water around me came alive and its hands gripped my throat, choking me. More hands grabbed my ankles, pulling me further down. The water around me turned red as the knife that was Ares' anger continued to run its blade along my arms. I was going to die here. I was going to drown in Ares' emotional aura.

Gods, why hadn't I left when I had the chance?

Because you needed to know if there was anything you could use against Ares, my inner voice told me.

As I struggled against the grip of the water, I sent out a silent plea.

Please, don't let me drown, Davina.