Preview of Strife: Chapter One

*Clarissa*

The moonlight was a soft glow as I stood out on the dock. I looked up at the sky and noticed that the stars were barely shimmering in the inky sky. It seemed that the night was mourning the loss of the Fates as much as we were. The anguish of watching Arrow slip away from me was still raw and I wanted so badly to break down and sob, but I knew that I'd get him back if we defeated Eris. So I bottled my anguish and grief as best I could.

There would be time to cry later. Right now I needed to stay strong. I needed to be strong for Arrow.

I could feel him in the darkness around me. His shadowed tendrils wrapped around my body, offering comfort, but it wasn't enough. My heart ached for him. I needed to feel his arms around me again.

"I'll fix this, my love, I promise," I whispered. The darkness around me whispered back and I inhaled as I tried to find the strength I needed.

I exhaled and walked inside. I found the others in the living room. Rosalie was sitting near the fireplace, Davina was staring out at the lake, and Avalon was rubbing her hands together. Nemesis was leaning against the wall and looked concerned.

"Okay," I called out getting their attention, "Let's go over everything again, make sure we're all on the same page and try and figure out what to do."

"Well we know Eris is even more angry now that we killed Ares," Avalon stated, "She's probably getting Hemera to give her a power boost as we speak."

"We also know that Eris won't sit idly by and let us win," Davina added, "She might be trying to turn people to stone again."

"Which means we need to get that shield," Avalon reasoned. The Shield of Perseus. The item that gave Eris the power to literally petrify others. Avalon was right. If we wanted to have any chance of stopping Eris, we needed to get that shield.

"Any idea how we're going to get it?" Rosalie asked, "I seriously doubt Eris is just going to give it to us."

"We're going to have to steal it," I declared. They all turned to look at me.

"How?" Avalon asked.

"By tracking her past," I explained.

"You're going to go into the past?" Nemesis asked, in disbelief.

"Yes," I replied.

"Without Arrow?" she asked.

"Yes," I clarified.

"That's incredibly dangerous, Clary," Nemesis told me as she crossed her arms.

"We don't have any other choice Nemesis," I reasoned, "Eris has a place in Moonshell, somewhere she goes and hides after our battles. The only way we're going to find the place is to either follow her after fighting her or look into her past and I don't know about you, but I'd rather not risk getting caught after an exhausting battle."

Nemesis sighed.

"Clary, Arrow spent years being tormented by the past," Nemesis told me.

"I know the past is a dark place Nemesis, but we don't have any other options," I reminded her.

"Fine," she relented.