Chapter Seventeen

*Davina*

Hemera. The primordial Goddess of Day. The others had told me that Eris had gained light powers somehow and that Hemera had once come to the lake house to heal. We should have known that the two were connected somehow.

"Hemera?" Calix asked again in disbelief.

Hemera tolled her eyes.

"Yes it's me," Hemera said as she rolled her eyes.

"Why?" Arrow asked, "Why did you side with Eris?"

"Humans are useless creatures, Atropos," Hemera sneered, "They are nothing. They are meant to be the dust we Gods walk on. You Fates plague the pantheon with your ideas about safeguarding humanity and the Olympians praise you for it. I'm not going to stand by and let that happen. I'm going to help Eris destroy humanity and the two of us are going to build a new world. One that we will rule."

"Hemera...that's insane!" Ryder told her, "Do you realize how insane that sounds??"

"Be that as it may, but it doesn't change the fact that we are enemies now, Genesis," Hemera replied.

"Hemera, there's still time to fix this," Soren told her.

"You could stop this all right now," Calix told her, "Just surrender and I'm sure Hera will be merciful."

"You two have always been so naive," Hemera scoffed, "I've hated the humans for years, Lachesis. I just saw Eris as an opportunity to destroy the thing I hate. And Clotho...poor sweet Clotho...do you really think I have any desire to surrender? How do you think Eris got her light powers? I've been helping her far longer than you realize."

"You came to us for help, Hemera," Arrow told her, "We helped you heal."

"And it was very foolish of you to do so," Hemera replied.

I looked around at the others. We were all exhausted from containing and killing Ares. How were we going to hold off Eris and Hemera?

There was a bright flash of light and Hera, Artemis, and Athena appeared.

"Leave Eris," Artemis commanded as she aimed one of her arrows at Eris' head.

Eris gulped and vanished with Hemera following close behind her.

We all turned to Hera and saw her kneeling beside the body of her son.

I noticed the tears streaming down her cheeks and felt my heart break for her as I felt her grief.

"Hera—" Nemesis began, but Hera cut her off.

"No, I know what you're going to say, Nemesis," Hera told the younger Goddess, "And it wasn't your fault. Ares made his choice and was given many chances to see the error of his ways, and as a Queen, I know that he needed to be punished for what he did. But as a Mother..."

"Hera...is there anything we can do?" Arrow asked.

"No," Hera replied, "But I appreciate your sympathy, Atropos. I'm going to take his body to Olympus. Hebe, Eileithyia, and Hephaestus deserve to say goodbye to their brother."