Chapter Nine

The ghosts all looked up at us curiously. They all seemed to recognize Clarissa, Avalon, and Rosalie and bowed.

"My Ladies," a ghost greeted them.

"Hello everyone," Clarissa greeted them.

"Who is this?" a woman asked.

"This is Davina Gryffon, daughter of Acheron," Rosalie replied.

"Welcome My Lady," a woman told me.

"Thank you," I replied. 

"She's pretty," a young girl stated. I smiled and she turned to me. "Which of the Fates do you call yours?" she asked.

"Callie, you shouldn't ask them those kinds of questions," a woman scolded the girl, "It's not polite."

"It's alright," I assured the woman as I knelt down in front of the girl, "Calix Mortane is my beloved."

"Do you love him?" she asked curiously.

"With all my heart," I replied without hesitation.

"Then you love a demon, My Lady," a man told me.

I stood and Rosalie and Clarissa placed their hands on my shoulders and I felt anger roll off Avalon in waves.

"Don't listen to him," Clarissa whispered.

"He's insulted Arrow, Soren, and Ryder before," Rosalie added quietly, "Calix will be no different."

I nodded and braced myself for what was to come as I turned back to the man.

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"They're all demons...the Fates...given gifts of darkness," the man replied before turning to Clarissa, "The eldest can see the past and cut the threads and is known as the Inflexible," he turned to Rosalie, "The second born is the Allocator, giver and taker of resources, seer of the future," and then he turned to Avalon, "The third born is an influencer. He is the first to influence fate and is known as the Designator," then he turned to me, "And the youngest is a manipulator."

"In what way?" I asked.

"In the way he influences the emotions of others and takes what he wants," the man replied.

I seriously doubted that. Being the Weaver gave Calix the ability to influence emotions, but that didn't mean he'd ever used that power for his own gain. He cared about those around him too much to do that.

"You shouldn't say such things, Trevor," a woman told the man.

"I'll say what needs to be said! These women deserve to know the true nature of the men they call theirs!" the man demanded.

Rosalie moved to silence, but I beat her to it. I let a way of calm and serenity wash over the area.

"I understand your fear of the Fates, Trevor," I told him, making sure to speak in a calm and soothing tone, "But like you, the Fates have suffered. I don't think that they deserve your insults. They have pledged their lives to protect the fate of humans."