Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The first person I awoke to was Chris, who was laid out next to me in the hospital, using the television remote that was built into my bed. It took him a few moments to notice that I was actually awake, and when he did, he gave me one cursory glance before turning back to the TV.

“You ever notice that the TV only faces the bed in a hospital? And these remote handlebar things are a real pain in the ass.”

“Why am I in the hospital?” I asked, noticing that I didn't sound anything like myself, and I was beginning to feel the first traces of real pain.

“You, run in street like fool. Car, make you go splat like bug. George, still king of jungle.” Chris said, speaking in his best George of the jungle voice. Then he smiled at me with a warmth I'd never noticed before.

I later realized that it was relief that I was seeing. His coloring even improved the more I moved. He sat up, but didn't leave the bed. Even though it hurt like hell, I had to laugh when I saw that he was wearing socks and pajamas. I looked over to the window and saw that it was dark outside.

“How long was I out?”I felt as though I was glued to the bed, and I knew I'd been here longer than a day or two.

“Two weeks. Four days. And six and half hours. Not that anyone's been counting or anything.”

I froze when I heard that voice. I looked up and saw Colin standing in the doorway, looking completely ragged and exhausted. But he sounded like he felt wonderful.

“Two weeks? Wow. So how long have you guys been here?” I suddenly felt sheepish and a bit guilty. They both looked so tired and worn out, and I was the reason.

“About two weeks, four days, and what. . . Three hours? Not that Colin's been keeping count. Like he said.” Chris said, nudging me and winking as he answered. Colin flipped him off as he walked into the little bathroom that was just behind the door into the room, causing Chris to laugh so hard that he shook the bed.

“How did. . . Wait, hasn't school started yet?” I asked. I was pretty certain that it had, but my head was so foggy, I couldn't be sure. The grin plastered on Chris's face told me that I was right in my assumption.

“Well, yeah, it has.”

“So why aren't you in school?”

“Uhh, because it's almost two in the morning.” Chris rolled his eyes at me as he flipped through the channels.

“Aren't you going in the morning, then?”

“Hell no!” Chris laughed as he channel surfed.

“Why not? Won't you get in trouble?” I asked, beginning to get worried. I didn't want all of my friends’ parents to hate me, and I was pretty sure that they would.

“And that's why we all have to thank you. Our parents made up some crap excuses for all of us, so we're all off the hook until you get out of here. So, thank you for the extended vacation.”

“So, what did your parents make up?” I just had to ask.

“Well, I have the worst case of chicken pox ever in the history of man. Seth has the flu, Micah has food poisoning that just won't go away, and Colin has the mumps. So yeah, nobody's worried about missing their next history class.”

“And what about Snoopie? What's he got?” I smiled a bit as I waited for the answer, expecting anything from measles to scarlet fever.

“Oh, he doesn't need a made up disease. He's got his own room on the next floor up.” Chris spoke in a nonchalant manner, but there was a bit of strain in his voice.