Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I eventually got over the sting of thinking about that night, but it was well past August before Colin would look at me for more than a passing glance again. As the school year began, Colin began his senior year of high school, and I began to feel the age difference more keenly than ever before.

I threw myself into my studies and by October, I was taking a placement test to determine how many grade levels I could skip. And I was trying to jump as many as possible, so I had studied relentlessly. No less than a bare minimum of eight hours a day, fifteen on weekends.

Two weeks before Thanksgiving, I walked into high school for the very first time, and I felt amazing. I hadn't told anyone what I was doing, so I was imagining what their expressions were going to look like when they saw me in their classes. I walked into my first class. Tenth grade algebra.

As I took my seat I saw a two familiar faces, and it completely made my day. At the back of the classroom, where I opted to sit, Micah sat gaping at me, a smile growing as I made my way toward him. The other face was the outraged expression of one Jennifer Coates. A red haired boy whistled at me as I walked down the aisle, and Jennifer gasped at him, sheer anger burning in her eyes. And justice was served, all say halleluiah!

My second class was English lit. And I had this class with Jennifer alone. I could feel her glaring daggers into my back the entire forty-five minutes. I was grinning from ear-to-ear until lunch, when Micah sought me out and barraged me with questions, his excitement feeding my own.

His grin spread as I told him how I'd pulled off two grade levels in three months. He called me a genius and told me to avoid the jello and the jocks, then pulled me into the lunch line with him. I scanned the line to the best of my ability, and Micah rolled his eyes at me.

“He'll be out here in fifteen minutes. We go to lunch earlier. This is gonna be so cool. And I'm loving this new look you're sporting, very grown up.” Micah gestured to the white button down blouse and black pants I wore, and I felt very grown up. And with purpose.

By the time we were seated with the goop they were passing off as lasagna, I could see Colin making his way through the lunch line, looking rather bored and dejected. He looked nothing like I'd imagined, but I have to admit I'd pictured him being fawned over by everyone in the building. And yet, he looked as though he felt invisible.

When he turned with his tray, he got halfway to the table we were sitting at. When I heard his tray clatter against the floor, I knew that he saw me. A resounding applause erupted throughout the cafeteria, and I blushed for him, all though he didn't seem to notice anyone else. His eyes were locked on mine, and he walked through his lunch as he closed the distance between us. He snatched me up into a fierce hug before he said anything.

“What the hell are you doing here?”

“She's a sophomore now, ain't it grand?” Micah batted his eyes at the two of us, a knowing smile playing at his features. Colin's lips brushed my forehead and I really started to blush because the entire cafeteria began cooing at us. I could hear Micah snorting behind me, and I hoped he was choking on his milk.

“Are you mad at me?”I asked, more than a bit worried that he was. He laughed and looked down at me disbelievingly.

“Are you serious right now? Why would I be mad at you? I'm surprised more than anything. You’re like a mini Einstein!” Colin said as he picked me up and spun me around a few times before setting me back on my unsteady feet. This sudden display was extremely disconcerting for me.

“What about, you know?”

I didn't want to say it aloud, just in case he'd forgotten. I knew at once that I wouldn't be so lucky. It wouldn't be easy, but I prepared for some kind of backlash.