Chapter 12

Chapter 12

When he came back well after dark that night, I had nearly worn a rut into Micah's bedroom floor. I ran out to go to him, but pulled up short as my father's car pulled in behind him. As I watched my parents get out and begin walking toward Colin, I panicked. I called for Micah, who came running out of the house, looking ready for anything.

I became even more confused when my parents began following Colin toward me, instead of the violence I'd been half expecting. They actually looked almost happy. Moreover, my mother looked so happy that she was on the verge of tears. My father looked like he was determined to endure whatever was coming with grace and a bit of dignity. When Colin stepped in front of me, he kissed me gently before he reached into his pocket.

He dropped to one knee, holding up a tiny black box with gold trim. I suddenly understood why my mother had been nearly in tears, and my own eyes began to water as I suddenly understood what was going on. He smiled up at me as he opened the box, presenting a beautiful engagement ring for my inspection.

Twelve sparkling diamonds surrounded by a huge, brilliantly green emerald. I did begin to cry. I was shocked by all of this, but in that moment I felt so amazed that he'd remembered my birthstone. I was standing there silently weeping to myself for a long moment before he said anything.

“So what do you say, Tabs? Tomorrow work for you?” Colin asked, and I felt weak as the meaning of his second question dawned on me. I could only nod in response. The dam holding back my tears finally broke, and I became nearly hysterical as he gathered me into a tight hug. My parents congratulated us, and I was suddenly curious to know why my parents were just alright with this. When I asked, Colin just told me that he'd explain later.

As it turned out, he'd told them that it was the only sure way to save either of our reputations, but I really just couldn't see how us getting married could possibly do that. But I trusted Colin, and I was so happy, I didn't care about the specifics of anything. I was floating way beyond cloud nine at that moment.

The next morning, he was gone when I woke up. He'd left a note for me on the pillow he'd been laying on. It simply said, “Go talk to Nann. I'll be waiting for you. Noon.”

I looked at the clock beside the bed, and flew out of bed when I saw that it was nearly ten in the morning. I wasn't sure about anything that was going on, so I walked down the hallway to the den, where my mother and Colin's second eldest sister, Emily, were both sitting with Nann. The entire house was filled with the scent of different foods. They were fussing over a very old dress of floor length ivory lace. As soon as they looked up and noticed that I'd walked into the room, I was bombarded by the three of them.

For the next hour and a half, I was prodded, plucked, pulled, preened, and polished. I felt like I was being trussed up like a Christmas turkey, but I knew the result had to be worth all the trouble. I felt like a fairytale princess as I was fitted into the corseted top of the dress, the skirt of the dress trailing the floor just a bit. Emily produced a pair of ivory sandals that matched the dress perfectly, and I nearly ruined my makeup.

“I hope you don't mind, but I'm your maid of honor.” Emily whispered, her own smile reflecting my happiness. She looked beautiful in a shimmering champagne colored sundress, her long warm blonde hair flowing down her back.

“I'd be. . . Well, I'd be honored. Why are you guys doing all of this?” I had to ask.

“Because, love like this comes around once in a lifetime, if you're lucky. And I'm not going to sit back and watch my little brother miss out on his chance at true happiness. When he called me yesterday, I was so happy for the both of you. Our mother will come around to the idea, but it's going to take her a while. He is her baby, after all. And when mom gets over this, Marie will probably get over herself.”