Chapter 15

Chapter 15

By the end of January I was getting back to normal, and Micah was in a serious relationship with a mutual classmate of ours, Bryan Michaels. I was happy for him, but the more Bryan was at our place, the emptier my own bed began to feel. It was Valentine's Day when I decided to go out by myself, giving Micah and Bryan the apartment to themselves for the evening.

I decided to go to Fred's, using my fake ID to get into one of the most popular bars in the area. The band playing was surprisingly good, and I noticed that the lead singer was incredibly gorgeous. I watched their entire set from the bar, fascinated by the way he played his guitar, his black hair flying everywhere as he moved.

When they went off the stage, I was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't get to keep looking at him, but I decided to console myself by looking for a suitable look alike to flirt with. As soon as I moved to go to the dance floor, I turned and bumped into someone, their drink spilling all over my dress, and I was thankful that I'd worn black.

“Sorry. My mistake,” I said, not paying attention to the person I'd run into.

“No problem. Sorry about the drink, doll. I'll buy you one to make up for it.”

I looked up at his face and was shocked to see the same man I'd been watching on stage staring down my dress. I blushed an intense red, but tried to maintain my composure as I inched backwards. I stepped back up to the bar and took my seat back, silently thrilled when he sat down next to me, motioning for the bartender.

“So what's your drink of choice?” He asked, his smile already causing my knees to go weak. I smiled back, not really having an answer for him, so I gave the best one I could think of.

“Whatever it is that I'm wearing now.”

“Jack it is! Two Jack and cokes. Wait, make it four.” He ordered, slipping a twenty on to the bar, then turning back to me, grinning like a Cheshire cat. I had to look away, hoping that he didn't see me blushing again.

“Four? More people coming?” I asked, knowing that wasn't the answer.

“Nope, two for you, two for me. Unless you're a lightweight, or you decide to hate me in the near future. Then it'll be one for you and three for me.”

“Cool, but I'm not exactly a lightweight, and I don't see me hating you ever.” I said, leaning closer to him. The bartender set down our drinks, and he pushed a ten toward the man, indicating for him to take it. He waited for me to grab my drink before he touched his.

“Well, the night is still young.” He said, raising his glass in salute. I laughed, taking a sip of my drink, then another. I glanced over and was surprised to find him staring at me intently. I looked away for a moment, then looked back to find him still staring.

“What?” I asked, beginning to feel overly self-conscious as he stared. He laughed, realizing that he was making me nervous. He reached over and ran a finger up my forearm to my shoulder. I felt a shiver up my spine and I knew I was in trouble.

“So when's your boyfriend gonna come split this up?” He asked, throwing the question out as casually as possible. I shook my head, and before I even spoke I could see his eyes light up with possibilities. I noticed that those eyes were a beautiful hazel.

“Don't have one.” I replied. I could almost see him do his own little mental happy dance, and I really knew I was in trouble. And I just didn't give a damn!

“Really? But you can't be without a date on V-day! I've got the solution, though. I'll be your date.” He said, nodding to himself as though he were agreeing with someone else. I laughed, seeing where all this was going.