one.

friday 13th may 2022

------

"Poppy you've got mail!"

The groan slipped from my mouth as I sat up, my body stiff from lying in one position for so long on my bed. Lindsee was loud, but I loved her and she always picked up my post with hers whenever she came home.

Perks of living with your best friend.

I abandoned my laptop, essay and the accompanying text books as I left my room, although to be fair I'd abandoned my essay a long time ago.

Writing two paragraphs and then rewarding yourself with an hour and a half of Buzzfeed quizzes was not productive or my plan for this afternoon. But hey, at least I knew what kind of bread I was now.

Sourdough, by the way.

"Thank you." I smiled at her gratefully as the lone single envelope was held out towards me and I wondered how far away the next letter from Niall was before I glanced at Lindsee. "Bad day?"

"Can we order in tonight?" Lindsee asked instead of answering my question but I already knew.

"Sure, sushi?" I asked absentmindedly as I ripped open the fancy cream envelope. It was embossed.

"Fuck I love you P."

"Holy shit!" I cut Lindsee off with my shout, making her jump in the process and I flashed her a sheepish smile.

The single piece of white card decorated with marble accents and gold lines screamed her personality to a t, and I couldn't believe it was finally happening.

Frank & Marie Calder request the honour of your presence at the marriage of their daughter Eleanor Calder to Louis Tomlinson.

My eyes scanned over the time and date, July second twenty twenty two.

It was a month and a half away and I was already so excited.

"Is everything okay?" Lindsee asked and I looked away from the card, realising I'd been hanging onto it for dear life and flushed.

"Yeah, sorry for screaming like that. One of my friends is getting married." I smiled, holding out the invitation for her despite her only ever being able to see and talk to Eleanor through my phone screen.

And she didn't even know who Louis was.

"That's so sweet! Tell her I said congratulations." Lindsee smiled and I nodded.

"Of course! I need to ring her, oh my god I wonder how long they've been engaged. I can't believe she kept it from me."

I grabbed my phone and without a second thought I stabbed her contact and the facetime ring tone sounded through the flat just as Lindsee told me she was going to have a shower and I nodded.

"We'll order from Yasuda" I called just as the phone connected and I saw Eleanor's grinning face very close to the screen.

"El! Congratulations!" I screamed, my excitement getting the best of me as Eleanor laughed loudly.

"You got it! I'm so happy, is this your RSVP?" Eleanor grinned and I nodded, my eyes flicking to my little picture and I realised I did not look great.

"Of course! I can't wait, I'm so happy for you both!"

"Thank you Pops-oi I haven't finished it yet." Eleanor disappeared from view for a moment or two as several voices filtered through the speaker and I cringed as I turned the volume down as I headed back into my bedroom.