Chapter 19

we shine together like the moon and the stars

we shine together
like the moon and the stars.

~

"He is looking at you."

"No, he's not."

"He is so looking at you!"

Hadiya squealed loudly and Muntaha banged her head on the table.

They were sitting in the cafeteria after three consective lectures. Muntaha had a headache because she kept awake all night trying to do some study before the mids as she couldn't study throughout the day because of the preparations going on. It was almost two and a half week after the day when Faris and his family came to see Shehryar and then they all went out for dinner. The dinner went smooth with a few teasings to the bride and groom to be.

The preparations were full on swing as the wedding was to be held after two months. The ladies of the house freaked out due to so less time but everything was taken control of. The Ahmed's strictly forbade the Khan's for jahez as they only wanted Aiman and nothing else. They strongly believed a girl's drowry is her good upbringing and education. They insisted but Shehryar politely declined saying he could provide everything for his wife's comfort which ended the argument with a chorus of hooting from the youngsters and blooming red cheeks of the said wife-to-be. There was no engagement ceremony as it has no Islamic value but the younsters insisted and they planned a small dinner with just family and friends.

Since the dinner, Muntaha has been noticing Faris staring at her almost all the time. And she was not the only one. Hadiya noticed the fact during the engagement dinner when a server was about to spill hot curry on Muntaha but Faris pulled her out of the way and sternly asked the server to be careful. He didn't leave her hand even after the server left and asked her if she was okay with concern. When Hadiya who was standing by noticed that Faris was in no hurry to leave Muntaha's hand, she wiggled her eyebrows at her and chewed her head off with her suggestive banters. Muntaha just tried to shrug it off, telling he would have done it for anyone.

But she wasn't anyone. She was his wife.

Since that day, she always pointed out his stares as if Muntaha already wasn't feeling his scorching eyes on her. But she always tried to act nonchalant about it, saying Hadiya was just imagining things and there is nothing going on between them.

"Hayye Allah! Now he's coming here." Hadiya said with wide eyes, her brown eyes looking like honey in the sunlight.

"You are just imagining things, Hadi. Are you high or something?" Muntaha said frustatedly. Her headache was increasing and she didn't want to take medicine.

Someone clearing their throat caused Muntaha to lift her head up from the table. When she raised her eyes, they landed on dull grey orbs like the sky before a rain. He was wearing a blue sweater which brought out the blue specks in his eyes with a white under-shirt slightly peeking from the bottom with black jeans and white sneakers.