Chapter 28

"Muntaha jaan, go and get ready

"Muntaha jaan, go and get ready. I'll look over the food for you."

Umayyah Saleem told her daughter when she came down to the kitchen after getting ready for the dawat and found her daughter still obssessing over the paaye she had been making from last night. She had been pestering her to teach her how to cook the dish and finally when she started cooking them last night as they are supposed to be cooked over night, she had been glued to the pot only making a few appetizers and salads for the guests and leaving everything else on her mother and the maids. She didn't understand why her daughter was so persistent about making such a difficult dish but she didn't stop her.

"Nai, Ammi. I'm just giving the finishing touches. I'll go in a few minutes." She said checking the gravy for any errors. It appeared fine to her but she asked her mother to check the taste.

"It is really tasty. Now, hurry up. Your Chachu's family has already arrived." She said rushing her daughter out of the kitchen.

Muntaha went to her room and took a shower to clean herself up from the sweat and smell of spices. She changed into a pastel green and pink dress and wore her small dangling earrings and the golden pendant.

She blow dried her hair and left them open, flowing behind her back with just two strands pinned back in a half updo

She blow dried her hair and left them open, flowing behind her back with just two strands pinned back in a half updo. She quickly did her makeup with a pink lip gloss and mascara and a little blush with highlighter. She slipped her sandals on and descended down the stairs to the living room to greet everyone. She was surprised to see that her in-laws had also arrived. She said her salams to everyone and sat beside Aiman. The atmosphere of the living room was getting tense by the passing seconds as everyone was anticipating the topic of the nikah. Faris was wearing grey slacks and and a light blue button-up shirt indicating that he came straight from the office. Zayyad Khan decided to cut the chase and said, " I would like to discuss the matter at hand." Muntaha's heart was beating so fast that she doubted it will break through her ribcage.

Saleem Ahmed looked at his wife and she told Muntaha to go check everything in the kitchen and set the table. She stood up on slightly trembling legs and went out of the living room. Aiman followed her out saying she'd like to help.