Chapter 22

do anything, but let it produce joy

do anything,
but let it
produce joy

"Shukar hai! You both are here."

Umayyah Saleem exclaimed when she saw Faris and Muntaha entering the back garden where everyone was seated. She told Faris that Abdullah had been looking for him and he excused himself. Then she turned to Muntaha,

"MaShaAllah! You look beautiful." Muntaha smiled at her mother's compliment.

"Now go and have the stage arranged for the rasams. Aqsa was asking for you."

She went to the makeshift stage where a wooden swing was beautifully decorated with flowers and two cushioned stools were set on its sides. A table was kept in front of it with a few thals (trays) which Muntaha had personally decorated. Aqsa Zayyad was standing near the table talking to someone on the phone. When the call ended, Muntaha called her.

"Aunty, you needed me?"

"Oh, thank god you're here. I wanted you to arrange the table since you had been handling everything with the decorations."

"Sure, aunty." Muntaha was about to crouch down beside the table when Aqsa stopped her.

"You look stunning, MaShaAllah." She said caressing her cheek.

"And you look extra beautiful today." Muntaha kissed her cheek and then got to work. She arranged table tastefully and lighted the candles on the mehndi plates. She then went to Aqsa who was standing near Faris, Abdullah and Zayyad Khan.

"Aunty, everything is done. We should bring Bhai and Bhabhi." She told her after greeting Zayyad Khan.

"I'll ask the girls to gather around."

The groom came came first.

His cousins held a multi coloured dupatta over his head with Safi and Muntaha holding the front corners

His cousins held a multi coloured dupatta over his head with Safi and Muntaha holding the front corners. He was seated in the wooden swing and then the bride's entry was anticipated. Safi and Muntaha were standing near him teasing him to no end when Abdullah called her and asked her to come inside. She went inside and saw everyone waiting for her.