Chapter-20

Chapter-20

-Elena

I had fallen asleep for a few hours in the bunker. When I woke up, the sound of the fighting from outside had died down to the point I don't hear anything anymore. But the walls are so thick, there's the chance people are still out there fighting, not many, but still plenty.

Brandon's still sleeping, so I let him rest.

Standing, I go out to see what's going on. My father is sitting, gathered around a bunch of associates. I make my way over to him. "Any updates about what's going on?"

Everyone quiets their discussion at my entry, and my father looks up at me. "The Rebels retreated not long ago, but we don't know how long it'll be until they return."

"If their gone, why don't we leave the bunker?"

"We don't know if its clear yet." I bite my lip thinking. I should go check, I thought. My father gives me a look. "Don't even think about it. You are not risking your life to see."

"I'll be fine, I can do it Daddy."

"Elena, I know you wan't to help, but I'm not going to let you risk your life, for all we know the Rebels could still be out there."

"My life isn't more important than any one else, I'm not special. I don't wan't anyone else risking their lives, when all of this is really my fault because we all know their after me and that is why they attacked."

He's starting to get angry, I can tell by the expression on his face. "Its not all because of you. They wan't control of the country, and one way to do that is if they get to you. Your life is important and you are special, and you will not go out there, that is an order!"

"Now your ordering me. Your just like her!" Referring to my mother. His expression on his face softens. I turn on my heels and walk away.

I can't believe how they treat me like such a child. Not only that, they command and order me around, instead of treating me like their daughter.

Sometimes, I just wish I could be normal. No not sometimes, all the time. With normal parents who don't order me around. And a normal boyfriend who's job isn't taking bullets for me. Oh and can't forget about being forced to marry someone. I'm so tired of all of this, so much responsibility, and I'm just one person. I feel like I have the whole world on my shoulders.

I didn't even realize where I was headed, till I reach the doors of the bunker. There's no sound heard from outside.

Hesitently, I pause and look over my shoulder. I bite my lip nervously before typing in the code to open the bunker. Shouts from behind get closer and closer, as the sound of the bunker door opening echoes down the bunker hall.

Taking a quick step out, I shut it behind me and turn to what's ahead. I walk up the stairs and open the door. There's lots of damage to the castle. There's dead rebel bodies, along with some guards, and injured ones. No one else is around. No Rebels in sight, they must've all retreated.

"Help.." A man on the floor, leaning against the wall, calls out to me.

Kneeling next to him, I examine the wound. He has a bullet wound in his gut. "We need to get you help." I wrap his arm around my shoulder, and help him up. "I'll get you to help."

"Princess..you shouldn't be out here its not safe. There could be Rebels around."

"I'll be fine." I help him down the stairs and open the bunker door for him. My leg is almost throbbing in pain. I set him down. "Someone help this man!" I put his hand on his wound. "Apply pressure to this, I'm going to help the others."

"Wait! Take this.." He hands me his gun. Hesitantly, I take it, running back up, as people come and help him. I don't wan't to shoot anyone else, but I know I have to do what I have to do.

Running up the stairs, I pick up one of the guards who's wounded in the leg. Slowly, we make our way down the stairs and I kneel him down next to the door like I dod with the other man. He looks up at me. "Thank you.."

"Wait for help, the should be here soon, yell at them if they don't hurry back." I run up the stairs.

I spent for what felt like a lifetime, helping wounded men down to the bunker, then running back up the stairs. I think I helped about 5 more and my leg was killing me.

"Princess!" I turn around quickly, only to find myself face to face with a Rebel, standing about 10 feet away from me, holding a gun.

I freeze in my spot. "You don't wan't to do this.."

"The hell I don't." He cocks the gun. "You stupid child, you don't know what I wan't. I wan't you dead, that's what I wan't."

"Elena!" My father appears in the stairway and runs out.

"Daddy back away before you get hurt!" But I'm too late. As soon as he reaches me, the sound of the gun goes off and he falls. I scream, snapping to reality. I raise my gun and shoot the Rebel. He drops with a thud, along with my gun. I kneel down beside my dad. "Help! Someone help!" I scream as tears fill my eyes. Blood soaks my dad's shirt, in his chest to the side, inches away from his heart. "Daddy please you have to be okay...I can't lose you.." I place my hands on the wound, applying pressure.

He puts his hand on mine. "You'll be a great ruler one day.."

"I can't do this without you.." I choke out a sob.

"I love you baby girl.."

"I love you Daddy.." I lay my head on his shoulder and sob. Help arrives and I'm scared that it may be too late. They lift my father and hurry him to the bunker so the Doc can help him, that is if its not too late by then.

I don't move from my place, as my hands shake and tears stream down my face. Brandon runs up the stairs to my side. He wraps his arms around me. "I'm so sorry...I'm too late..I couldn't get here in time to help..If I was he wouldn't have been shot, I'm so sorry.."

I put my face in his neck as I cry. "He has to be okay..I can't do this without him.."