Young!Robert Baratheon X Targaryen!Reader - Smile

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Smile' by Maisie Peters, which is part of the Birds of Prey soundtrack. I hope you all enjoy it.

You had spent eighteen years smiling to please the men around you. They appreciated it when a pretty girl knew how to keep her opinions to herself, and soon enough you had learned that a smile was the only way to keep the words from escaping you.  It was far from an enjoyable existence, but it had kept you alive far longer than your thoughts would have been able to. 

Of course, everyone knew about your father's interesting personality. He had gone made long ago, but it seemed to keep escalating as he grew older, and the worse he got the more you began to worry that your sweet smiles wouldn't be enough to placate his temper with you. 

It hadn't been a difficult decision to leave the capital, setting your old life out of your mind as you travelled in secret. There had been murmurings of certain houses beginning to show signs of rebellion in your father's kingdom, and you had headed straight for the largest house on the list. 

When you finally arrived at Storm's End, you were certain you looked far less graceful and elegant than the Princess they had met on their journeys to King's Landing. Not that it seemed to matter. It was said that Robert Baratheon would never forget the face of pretty girl, and he had recognised you immediately. 

"Your Grace," he started, his eyes roaming over your less than royal appearance. "I wasn't aware you were intending to visit with us in Storm's End."

You gave a short nod. "That was my intention. I was worried my father would intercept my ravens if I wrote to you." 

A small smirk pulled at his lips as you watched him carefully. "And what is so private that you wouldn't want our King reading it?" he uttered.

"I want you to help me kill him." You smiled as you saw him sputter slightly at the simplicity of your comment. "He's a shit father and an even worse King. He's a danger to the Kingdom if we allow him to keep ruling. And he isn't just going to lay down and give up the thrown without a fight."

"What about the Prince?" he finally managed to murmur, watching as you gave a short shrug.

"He doesn't want to be King. He barely wants to be a Prince. But the laws of inheritance would put him above me, unless I take it for myself."

Robert nodded slightly, releasing a soft breath as you continued to smile at him. "And you need me because...?"

"I don't know the first thing about rallying troops to war. Women aren't given the liberty of learning that sort of thing. And I'll need a husband."

Robert got to his feet, looking a little flustered as he took a few steps towards the door before pausing and glancing over at you again. "I'm sorry, I'll need to speak with my brother's first."

"Of course," you uttered, moving over to take a seat at his desk and giving him a sweet smile. "Take your time, My Lord."

*Time Skip*

Robert hadn't taken long to deliberate with his brothers. He had come striding back into the room with a deep frown, giving you a small nod as he moved to sit opposite you. It took you a moment to notice the two boys that had followed him in. The first you had met on multiple occasions and was smiling at you like you were his best friend. Renly was a sweet child, and far too young to understand the intricacies of your visit. Stannis, on the other hand, you had never met before. You had heard the rumours of his surly nature, and the sour expression on his face was enough to prove them correct. 

"Good evening, My Lords," you started, standing to greet them properly. Stannis practically growled as you took his hand, your smile faltering for a moment. "I'm sorry to have disturbed you at such short notice," you continued. 

"I'm just glad you came," Renly interrupted, coming to hug you. He had grown so used to spending time with you in the Capital, and hugs had been a constant with the rather clingy child.

"Sweet boy," you murmured as you released him. "I assume you have had the chance to discuss my proposition," you continued, moving back over to the desk and taking your seat, followed closely by the youngest Baratheon brother. 

Robert nodded, his eyes not yet finding you. "Stannis is completely against the idea," he told you, finally glancing in your direction to find you carefully focused on the desk in front of you. "Renly, however, is your biggest supporter, by the sounds of it."

You nodded, your face softening as you focused your attention back on the man in front of you. "And where do you stand?"

"We can't conspire to kill a King," Stannis started, his voice deep and gruff, perfectly matching his personality. "In coming here you have put us all in danger."

You nodded slightly. "That would suggest that you weren't already in danger, wouldn't it?" You turned in your seat to look over your shoulder at Stannis. "My father was already under the impression that you were conspiring against him and that doesn't-."

"Well, you can go back to him and tell him that we weren't."

"Did I sound like I was finished speaking, My Lord?" you asked, getting to your feet to face him properly. "I don't appreciate being spoken over like some child whose opinion is worth nothing." You fell silent for a moment, watching him carefully. Stannis looked a little taken aback by the scowl on your face, his jaw tense as he stared back at you. "As I was saying; my father would have been marching to tear down your walls within the next few months, whether I came here or not. This way, you get the chance to fight back and to protect not only your home, but the rest of the Seven Kingdoms." 

"Why does he think we intend to betray him?" Robert murmured, drawing your attention back to him. 

You shrugged slightly, a small frown on your lips. "You all know how my father can be. He'll think off something completely out of the blue and then he'll drive himself mad thinking about it." You paused for a moment, swallowing around the lump in your throat. "You aren't the only house he's become suspicious about."

"Who?" Stannis crossed the room, moving to stand behind his older brother. 

You set your gaze on him for a moment, taking a deep breath. "The Starks are top of the list. If they weren't hidden away so far north he likely would have marched already. In fact, he's beginning to think the entire North had turned against him."

Robert reached out, pulling on Stannis' sleeve to draw him down to his seated height. "We have to get word to them. Warn them about what could be coming." 

"We should go to them. You can't trust a raven to get the message there safely," you started, pulling their attention back to you. Stannis still looked a little uncomfortable, watching your face carefully. "If you won't help me I will find others, but I think you are the best chance we have of surviving him."

Robert gave a short nod, standing from his chair and turning to his brother. "We're doing this," he uttered, the words so simple that you almost missed their true meaning. 

Stannis lifted his hand, running it over his jaw like a troubled man twice his own age. After a moment of silence, he nodded, glancing over at you. "If we don't survive this, I will blame you," he told you, watching as a smile came to your lips.

"I would expect nothing less."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x