Beric Dondarion X Witch!Reader - Season of the Witch

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Season of the Witch' by Donovan. I hope you all enjoy it.

In all honesty, you should have seen the intruder coming. There was no way that they should have been able to catch you of guard. Seven Hells, you could track every living creature within a mile of your front door. But somehow, he had wandered into your home without you even noticing that he was there. 

"Who are you?" you uttered, pressing the sharp blade against his spine as you attempted to sound threatening. It wouldn't work. You had a soft voice, something that had bothered you since you were young, and there wasn't a soul alive who would have been startled by it. 

The man raised his hands, releasing a soft sigh as he surrendered. "Beric," he started, feeling the knife shift slightly, pressing a little harder into his tunic.

"How did you find me?" You could see his eyes searching in the dark, looking for anything he could use to protect himself but finding only your work. Dried plants hung from strings by the window and vials of coloured liquids lined shelves. There was even a collection of more recognisable ingredients, gathered together on one of the counters. Bones and shells and crystals, all leading him to one conclusion.

"You do magic?" You tensed at his comment, shifting forward and hearing him release another, more anxious, breath as you pressed the knife closer to him.

"How did you find me?" you repeated through gritted teeth, practically growling. 

"It wasn't intentional. Just looking for somewhere to sleep; the place looked abandoned."

You stayed silent for a moment, and then the blade moved away as you quickly moved away from him. "Well, it isn't," you uttered, watching him carefully as he turned to look at you. 

"So I see," he responded, finally lowering his hands. "Didn't mean to bother you. I'll be on my way."

"Why didn't I know you were coming? I know everything about these forests." He shrugged slightly, watching as you bit down on your bottom lip, your brow furrowed in concentration. "I still can't sense you," you added, glancing up at him with fear in your eyes. 

"Sense me?"

You nodded, shifting to take a seat at the small table you used as a work space. "I can sense all living things," you explained, wracking your brain in an attempt to find an answer. 

"Well, It would probably help you to know that I'm not alive," he uttered, as though it was the most simple thing in the world. The look on your face was one of morbid curiosity as you allowed your eyes to wander over each and every inch of his body, searching for any sign of a lie. "Not in the traditional sense, anyhow."

You tilted your head to the side, your tongue darting out to wet your lips. "So, you're dead?"

"No."

"But you aren't alive?" 

"Not really, no." 

You let out a sound, half way between a laugh and a scoff, and shook your head. "You're mad."

"Probably," he murmured, moving to sit opposite you at the table. "It's a long story."

"I have all the time in the world."

Beric smiled at that, giving a short nod. "I was killed by Gregor Clegane," he started, shifting to lean back in his seat. "But a friend of mine, Thoros, he managed to bring me back."

"Does he use magic?" you uttered, your brow furrowed. 

"No," he answered you, his voice softer as he let his eyes linger on your face. You were watching him so carefully, as if you were trying to learn everything about him just by staring. "He works with the Lord of Light." You nodded slightly, a gesture for him to continue. "He's brought me back six times, now," he added, watching as your eyes widened.