Jon Snow X Greyjoy!Reader - Hysteria

A/N - This chapter started of based on the song 'Hysteria' by Muse, but went a little off base somewhere in the middle. Warning: There are conversations about rape and abuse of the reader in this chapter. If this is going to negatively effect you, please do not read. 

Romance was difficult. Everyone knew it. Everyone who had ever suffered through the courting phase of a relationship knew that it was tedious and anxiety ridden. And yet, almost every soul in Westeros craved it anyway. You, on the other hand, had only ever held love for one man. 

Ever since you had come to Winterfell, you had adored Jon. Not that he had ever noticed. You had spent most of your young adult life fawning over him, laughing at his stupid jokes and cheering him up when Lady Stark put him down, and he had never even shown a single sign of realisation. 

It was pathetic really, the way that you had never cared that he didn't love you back. The way that you continued to care for him in spite of his complete indifference. Seven Hells, if he had asked it of you, you would have married him on the spot. You would have shared his bed without a second thought. 

When he had chosen to leave Winterfell for the Night's Watch it had torn your heart in two. And he hadn't even had the balls to tell you himself. Theon had been the one to break the news, watching as your face fell. Your younger brother, a boy that had always seemed to be one of the most oblivious people in the Seven Kingdoms, had recognised it then. You were in love with a man who would never marry, and as such, you were destined to be miserable. 

"He's not worth crying over," he had uttered, pulling you into a gentle, yet awkward, side hug as you placed your head in your hands. "He's an idiot."

Your lips quivered as you held back tears, nodding your agreement. "He is," you replied, your voice soft and broken. 

"I should beat him for hurting you," he murmured, causing a shock of laughter to burst out of you as you shook your head.

"He doesn't know," you uttered, leaning your head into Theon's shoulder and releasing a deep breath.

Your brother paused for a moment. "Oh." There was another pause as you sniffled, and then Theon shifted to his feet, causing you to brace yourself as your leaning post suddenly disappeared. "Then you should tell him."

You stared up at him with wide eyes, your mouth falling open. "Are you insane?" you spat out, shaking your head. "I can't tell him."

"Why not?"

Theon was watching you so intensely that you almost wanted to let the tears come. He had never been so focused on anything in his life. "Because that isn't fair to him," you murmured, giving a short shrug. "He's leaving. I don't want him to go thinking that he hurt me."

"But he has hurt you." Theon glanced up at the ceiling, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Not intentionally." You sighed again. "You have to promise me you won't tell him," you started again, taking Theon's hand in yours to draw his attention back to you. "Please."

Theon frowned as he looked at you, your face so worried that he couldn't help but feel the pain in his chest. "Fine." 

You were on your feet in an instant, pulling him into a proper hug. "Thank you," you uttered against his shoulder, turning to press a light kiss to the side of his head. "I don't know what I would do without you," you added, watching as he pulled away with a small smile. 

*Time Skip*

You had spent much of your childhood imagining how your life would go. You would get married, and have children, and you would watch them grow into strong, independent people. And then, when you were old and wrinkly, you would pass peacefully in your sleep, held close by your husband. By Jon.