five

JO WAS AWOKEN the next morning to excessive knocking on the door

JO WAS AWOKEN the next morning to excessive knocking on the door. She sat up in her bed and groaned. After rolling over to see that it was only 9am, she pulled her pillow over her face and groaned once more. Finally the knocking stopped, but Jo's heart began to race when she heard the front door open and close and footsteps sounded in the kitchen. She quickly jumped out of bed and threw on an old crew neck that JJ had lent her once (anytime JJ "leant" her a piece of clothing, he never got it back).

The brunette slowly exited her bedroom and padded nervously into the kitchen. Her eyebrows knitted together in confusion at the sight of Sheriff Peterkin poking around.

"Hi?" Jo spoke, making her presence known.

"Oh, hi there," the woman said. "Your brother around?"

"Uh, yeah. In his room," Jo replied awkwardly.

She pulled the sleeves of the crew neck over her hands nervously and scampered into John B's room.

"Wake up," she hissed, smacking the back of his head.

"Ow," John B groaned as he opened his eyes. One was swollen and bruised, undoubtedly from the punches Topper had given last night.

"Get decent, sweetie," Sheriff Peterkin said as she stood in the doorway. "We need to talk."

John B sat up abruptly and winced as he threw on a pair of shorts. "What the hell is the friggin sheriff doing here?" He whisper-yelled.

"Dude, don't look at me!" Jo hissed back. "I just woke up and there she was in our fucking kitchen."

John B let out an annoyed groan as he left his bedroom. Jo followed behind him and the twins stood across from the sherif in the kitchen.

"Sorry to break in like this, but DCS called," Peterkin explained. "They wanted me to check in on you, see how you're doing. So how are you, besides the..."

She trailed off and motioned to his black eye.

"Oh, no, I'm — I'm great," John B stammered. "Yeah, fantastic."

"Yeah, thanks for comin' by," Jo spoke up.

"I'm so glad to hear you say that kids, but I heard a few things that worried me," the sheriff said knowingly. "Let me see if I can remember," she hummed sarcastically.

Jo winced as John B turned and headed towards the sink. He began decluttering the house as best he could; it was a mess since the five friends basically lived there with no adult supervision.

"Oh, yeah. One of the things I heard was that your Uncle Teddy, your guardian, hasn't been in the state for three months," Peterkin said as she examined a picture of the twins' uncle on the wall.

"Yeah, that's false." John B made a face.

"Totally untrue," Jo chorused.

"You don't have to say anything," Peterkin cut them off. "I know it's true. I called the school. They said you both used to be good students, and now you're failing all your classes."