twenty

THE REMAINING FIVE group members were sat at a table in the Wreck

THE REMAINING FIVE group members were sat at a table in the Wreck. Jo had her knees pulled up to her chest and her arms encircled them. Her chocolate-colored eyes were empty and bloodshot. She stared down at the worn-out, wooden table with a blank expression on her face. She hadn't known how much missing a person took out of you. She felt as if half her heart had been ripped out of her chest. There was a void there where JJ used to live and now that he was gone, she didn't know what to do.

Jo and JJ had been friends since they were nine. Ever since the day that they met, they hadn't gone a single day without seeing each other. JJ always made sure to see the doe-eyed girl at least once every day, and now Jo was left without him for the first time in seven years. For over two thousand days they had been together, and now he was gone.

"Look, he'll come around, alright?" John B tried to assure them. "He's doing a JJ thing."

"Do you think he'll go home?" Jo asked.

It was the first time she had spoken since JJ turned his back on her and surprised the others. Jo took a deep breath and blinked her tears away as she lifted her head to look at her brother. He hated seeing two of the people he cared most about in the world hurting so severely. He hated even more there was nothing he could do to make the situation better.

"There's anout a zero percent chance that JJ goes home," Pope said. He stood by the window with his arm pressed against the wooden frame, peering out at the water.

John B sighed as he took in how utterly broken his sister looked. "Are you okay?" He asked her hesitantly.

Jo gave him a small smile and nodded. "I will be. Are you?"

John B smiled back at her and shrugged. "I mean, I'm in one piece, so."

Jo chuckled half heartedly as Pope came to join them at the table. "Okay, so it's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal. So our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it. Bring it all up at once. Put it in a safe or a vault or something. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off."

Jo nodded as the gears began to turn inside Pope's head.

"I can figure it out tonight. I can get it all done and we can be out there as early as tomorrow morning."

"Sounds good to me," Jo murmured quietly.

"Yeah, lets to it," John B agreed.

"What about that thing with my dad?" Sarah reminded the twins.

"Shit," John B sighed.

Jo groaned and tilted her head back as she remembered that Ward wanted to take them fishing.

"We have to go fishing with Ward," Jo explained.

"You can't get four hundred mil because you're gonna go kill fish?" Kie deadpanned.