twenty four

THE POGUES WERE gathered in Kie's car, which was currently parked outside of the police station

THE POGUES WERE gathered in Kie's car, which was currently parked outside of the police station. John B took a deep breath as the friends all stared at the building.

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" Jo asked reluctantly.

"Somebody's gotta tell them what happened," he explained.

"Are you crazy?" Jo asked with wide eyes. "Ward's probably gonna frame you!"

"Uh yeah, and Jo too," JJ said worriedly.

The dispute was interrupted by Pope coughing hysterically. He had been smoking almost nonstop since they left the runway and he was probably completely stoned. Jo winced as Pope began to gag and she shot JJ a look.

"Whoa, easy there, chief," JJ said as he took the half-used blunt out of Pope's hand. He turned back to John B and clasped his friend's shoulder. "Alright, I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never, ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

Jo sighed and glanced at the blonde. "Your old man is an abusive liar."

"I agree with JJ," Pope spoke up. "Fuck the police!"

Jo's eyes widened and she scoffed at her friend. "You going to the dark side now?"

"When's the last time the police ever helped us, huh?" Pope challenged.

"Peterkin looked out for us, alright?" John B spoke up. "Tried to, at least," he sighed.

"And now she's dead," Jo stated. "John B, it's our word against Ward's. No one will believe you."

John B glanced among his friends and shook his head. "They need to know."

"Then let me come with you," Jo offered. "I was on the boat too."

"No," John B objected. "Stay here. I'll be back."

Jo huffed and folded her arms over her chest. JJ placed his hand on her shoulder in an attempt to bring her a little comfort as John B slid out of the car and slowly made his way inside.

"I don't like this," Jo murmured nervously.

The entire situation felt wrong. She didn't want her brother to put himself in even more trouble than he was already in, but she knew she couldn't stop him. She just hoped the police would listen to what he had to say.

"He'll be fine," JJ assured her.

"You don't understand, JJ," Jo frowned as she turned to face him. "Ward tried to kill us on that boat. He killed our dad for the gold. We're a threat to him, and he wants to eliminate us."