twenty two

JO WAS NUMB

JO WAS NUMB. The amount of shit she and John B had been put through in the last week was absurdly unreal. Everything they had done, everything they had worked for, everything they had sacrificed, it felt like it was for nothing.

Big John was dead.

The twins had made the trek to Ms. Lana's house once they escaped the Druthers and begged the woman to tell them the truth. She had known all along because Ward showed up in hysterics after it happened. He had given their father a lethal injury to his head and then dumped him in the water. He left him to die alone on a distant island.

The siblings walked back to the chateau in silence. It was deafening, but neither one could bring themselves to speak. They were still trying to wrap their heads around what Lana had told them and comprehend the fact that their father was really gone. He was never coming home. They would never see him again.

The hot sun beat down on Jo's back as she walked a few steps behind John B. Her head was still throbbing and her neck ached from the impact of the blow Ward had given her. Her body shook with fear, anxiety, and rage as she walked. Her clothes were still wet from their swim through the marsh after the jet ski ran out of gas, but that was the least of her worries.

Jo quickly spotted JJ's blonde hair as they neared the chateau. Just the thought of the blue-eyed boy made the gaping hole in her chest a little smaller and a little warmer. A ghost of a smile graced her lips as her arms itched to wrap themselves around his middle and never let go.

Kie was in the bucket that was going to be lowered down into the well, testing it out while Pope leaned against the truck and made sure the machinery was working. JJ sat on the edge of the hot tub with his feet in the water as he watched his friends prepare everything for their big extraction. He idly wondered where Jo was at the moment and what she was doing. He knew that she went fishing with Ward and John B, but he missed her. He was used to her being around all the time and it felt weird that she wasn't snuggled into his side.

"Jo and John B pullin' a Houdini," JJ stated.

"Yeah, where are they?" Pope queried. "I got my scholarship interview tomorrow morning. We gotta get this done."

"Oh, speak of the devils!" JJ said when he spotted the siblings. "Guys, I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything."

"No he did not, I did that," Pope said as he gave JJ a pointed look.

JJ's heart sank when he saw Jo's condition. She had her arms wrapped around herself and looked at the ground with an empty stare. Blood still lingered on her forehead and her eyes were swollen and red. John B ignored them and made a beeline for the house. Jo lifted her eyes in confusion as she watched her brother disappear behind the door and reluctantly trailed after him.

"Hey," Kie chirped happily. Her smile quickly faded as John B went inside.

"Uh, what was that about?" Pope questioned.