fourteen

JO RAN AS fast as her legs would carry her

JO RAN AS fast as her legs would carry her. She wished that she could outrun all of the problems that were building in her life, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. She didn't know how long she could keep avoiding them. She didn't know how much longer she would be able to withstand the pressure before she broke completely.

Jo was unraveling, slowly but surely. With every incident, every tragedy, and every thing that went wrong, another piece of her fell away. She was spread thin. She didn't know how to keep on going, especially now that JJ was gone. 

She still hadn't heard from John B; he could've gotten caught and taken into custody for all she knew. The only thing Jo understood that was absolutely certain at the moment was that she was alone. In all her years on this earth, never once had she ever been alone. She'd always had John B, and then when they met JJ one of the two was always there. When they met Pope and Kiara that family grew. But now none of them could help her. None of them could bring her dad back alive and well. None of them could protect her from DCS. This part, she had to do by herself.

Jo had run as far as she could for as long as her body would allow. She finally reached the marsh beyond the chateau and decided to sleep on the dock. It was hidden so that even if her home was being watched, she wouldn't have to worry about being spotted.

She was currently sat behind a tree by the water with her knees pulled up to her chest. She had awoken that morning to discover there was in fact an unmarked car stationed outside of her house, so she elected to sit and watch it. It wasn't like there was anything else for her to do or anywhere else for her to go. So there she sat, watching, waiting, trying not to think about the horrific mess that was currently her life.

The sound of footsteps startled Jo. No one ever came out here, so she had no idea who it could possibly be. She lifted her head from its place resting on her knees and looked around nervously. Her heart thumped in her chest and threatened to break through her ribs as her wide eyes scanned her surroundings.

A familiar mop of blonde hair appeared as the boy under it crawled through the brush. Jo gasped as JJ lifted his head and crouched down, giving her a lopsided smile. Jo laughed in relief and launched herself at the boy gleefully.

"Oh my god," she breathed. "You're okay!"

"Yeah, I'm fine, princess," JJ smiled.

Jo closed her eyes as she relished in how nice it felt to have his strong arms wrapped securely around her. When she pulled away her smile quickly faded as her hand lifted to touch his bruised face.

"What happened?" She asked.

"My old man had to bail me out," JJ shrugged. "You know the drill."

Jo sighed as she stroked his cheek and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead. She couldn't stop herself from wrapping him in a hug again.

"I'm so glad you're here," she whispered.