ten

JO TAPPED THE camera of the drone and smiled at it

JO TAPPED THE camera of the drone and smiled at it. JJ leaned over Pope as he manned the device and watched intently while Jo swim in the water. He couldn't get over how beautiful she was. Her body was amazing, her hair fanned out behind her like a mermaid, but the thing he loved most about her was her impeccable charm. She was so brave and tough yet so gentle and kind. It seemed as if she could do it all.

Jo kicked back to the surface and took a deep breath once her head popped up above the water. She spread her arms out on either side of her to keep herself afloat as Kie and John B joined her from underneath.

"Look, once we get footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a normal claim," Jo said as she pushed her wet hair out of her eyes.

"It's such bullshit," JJ complained. "Why do we have to do that?"

"Well there is maritime salvage law," Pope said. "You can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up."

"I know, I know. It's just that lawyers aren't cheap, bro," JJ said worriedly.

"As soon as they see the footage, they'll work for a comp," Jo said as she pulled herself out of the water and onto the dock.

She squeezed her hair out and wrapped a towel around her body to dry off her skin before putting her clothes back on. JJ couldn't take his eyes off her as she wrapped the towel around her slender form.

"How do you know all of that?" JJ asked in awe.

"Cause our dad said it, like, a million times," Jo said. She sent a smile to John B as he followed her up onto the dock and nodded.

"Yeah, that's fair," JJ sighed.

The situation regarding the Routledges' father still tormented Jo. She would lay awake at night and recount the last several days she'd had with her father before he disappeared, wishing she could go back in time and tell herself to cherish it. She would think about the last fight she had with her father, the very last thing she said to him, and when that go to be too much to bare, she would think back on happier memories of her childhood with her dad.

The only thing that really helped (besides JJ's endless support, which she was eternally grateful for) was knowing that her dad wanted her and John B to finish his work for him. It gave her a purpose and made her feel better about the entire situation.

"This tether is like, really long," Pope noted. "In the wrong weather, it could get pushed around."

"Then we'll go at dead calm," John B said.