fifteen

EVERYTHING WAS QUIET from where Jo sat

EVERYTHING WAS QUIET from where Jo sat. She was situated far away from the party that was in full swing down at the country club, hiding below the outdoor deck that spanned the width of the outside of the building. JJ had gone into the belly of the beast disguised as the help and John B had dragged her with him to wait for Sarah. Instead, Jo had opted to wait in her hiding spot where she currently was. She did not want to run into any Kooks tonight and she definitely didn't want any more bruises to go along with the confrontation.

She wasn't entirely sure how she felt about John B and Sarah Cameron. She had been dubbed long ago as the Kook Princess, and for good reason. She was probably the richest kid on the entire island since Ward owned over half of it. She was beautiful and popular and volunteered and went to a well-rounded private high school, so of course she was the total catch. Jo just couldn't stand how Kooks got everything handed to them and got away with everything while the normal working class citizens had to slave away the days just to make ends meat. It wasn't fair, especially the fact that midsummers was still happening when half the island was without power or even running water.

She was brought out of her thoughts when suddenly John B hurled himself over the wooden railing and landed beside her with a thud. Jo sat up and raised her brows, not that her unimpressed expression could be seen in the dark.

"You good?" She questioned.

John B groaned as he sat up and rubbed his side. "Yup," he replied. "Just hiding from the enemy."

Jo chuckled as she got to her feet and peered over the edge of the deck. She watched from afar as Sarah returned to Topper and they began to argue.

"So, Sarah Cameron, huh?" She asked, spinning around to face her brother.

"Uh, yeah," he shrugged. "It's really not a big deal."

"Oh, no?" Jo challenged.

She folded her arms over her chest. She knew John B wasn't one to just use girls, so if they were secretively meeting up behind Topper's back she knew that something at least semi-serious had to be going on. After all, she had grown up with John B for their entire lives.

"No," John B said with a shake of his head. "No big deal at all."

"Cut the bullshit, J.B," Jo deadpanned. "I know you almost better than you know yourself, come on."

John B sighed heavily and ran his hand through his unruly hair. "I - it just sort of happened, you know?" He shrugged. "At first it wasn't ideal, but then..."

"Then what?" Jo pushed.

"She's not who you think she is," John B said sincerely.

Jo wanted to believe him. He was her brother, after all. But after all the horrible experiences she'd had with the other Kooks, and considering who her father was, she found John B's statement difficult to believe.