twenty seven

THE SOUND OF a motor approaching outside attracted Jo and JJ's attention

THE SOUND OF a motor approaching outside attracted Jo and JJ's attention. They were waiting for Pope and Kie to return so they could head off to the dump and meet up with John B. They were both anxious to get going; the less time they spent here the less they had to worry about someone seeing them.

Jo smiled in anticipation at the sound and hopped between the truck and the boat connected to it to greet her friends. "Finally," she murmured as she made her way around the Phantom. Her smile dropped when she was met with Rafe instead.

"Hey there, what's going on?" Rafe smirked. "JJ."

Jo inhaled sharply and immediately backed away from the boy. She turned around and she ducked back towards her boyfriend while Barry appeared from behind the truck. Her eyes widened as she stared between the two criminals. Rafe whistled as he hopped into the boat and looked around.

"Well, well," Barry hummed as he sauntered towards the pair. He cocked his gun and pointed it at JJ, making Jo's heart accelerate tenfold. "See, don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road."

Jo held her breath as she and JJ raised their hands in the air and Barry stepped closer to them. "Oh, you mean when that fucking pawnshop owner lured us into the middle of nowhere so you could rob us?" She spat back venomously.

Barry glared at her and switched his focus from JJ. He pointed the gun at her and JJ quickly pulled her behind him in a protective manner.

"I'm here because I want my motherfuckin' money," Barry continued. He punched JJ in the stomach and kicked him to the floor, prompting Jo to go into panic mode.

"JJ, JJ!" She screamed and stepped forward to help him but Rafe grabbed her around the waist and yanked her away from the blonde boy.

"That's what I'm here for, ain't it!" Barry continued as he hit JJ again to keep him on the floor. Jo screamed and thrashed against Rafe.

"Rafe, let me go!" She shrieked.

"You'll make a pretty good consolation prize," Rafe smirked as he restrained the girl. "But I'm gonna need your little partner in crime too. Where's John B?"

"I don't know!" Jo huffed as she continued to fight against her attacker. She leaned forward and tossed her head backwards to hit Rafe in the face, successfully loosening his grip on her. She grunted angrily as she pulled herself free and spun around to shove his shoulders.

"I really wish you didn't do that," Rafe growled.

"I know what you did," Jo spat in disgust. "Typical Kook, blaming the Pogues for all your shit."

"Oh yeah? What'd I do?" Rafe challenged.

"You murdered Peterkin," Jo hissed. "And I'm not about to go down for that, you asshole."

This grabbed Barry's attention as he stared at Rafe in surprise. He glanced down at JJ and kicked him in the side to make sure he stayed down while Rafe advanced on Jo.