21

• • •

Before I knew it, it was Saturday evening and we had just arrived at a party. My mood wasn't the happiest but Hania was trying her best to lighten up my mood.

"I texted Atif, he should be here." Safa mentions as she glances over at people in front of her, looking for Atif.

"Hey." A familiar voice washes over us three, noticing Atif right behind us. Safa hugs Atif, to which I and Hania fangirl before we both walk off.

"People are saying Daniel's here." Hania mentions loudly over the blasting music.

My eyes widen, "Why would he be at a party? That's not how you grieve." I state to which Hania nods.

She points into a corner, as she gasps at the sight in front of her. I follow her finger, leading to him.

My whole heart shakes up as I inhale a sharp breath which feels as though daggers have throbbed into me. 

I start taking steps forward him, "Hania, I'll be right back." I tell her, she nods at me before walking off.

My eyes look next to him, as I notice a few girls making their way over to Daniel. Sitting next to him and talking with him.

Finally, I manage to walk right over to him. The music blasts over us, but it feels as though my heart is knocking at my own chest. It sounds pretty loud to me. The deafening sound of my own heart blares out the music and my sight is on Daniel.

He looks up at me, his sight is possibly blurry because all he is doing is rubbing his eyes.

"Excuse me, ladies." He mentions to the girls around him, they all nod in unison twirling their hair.

I take a few steps back, he can attend parties but not even contact me once? He can hang out with other girls but not talk to me for weeks?

I realise that I've reached a wall at this point, internally I shout at myself for not looking out. I should have walked back towards the main door, not a freaking wall!

"Hey." I gulp, as I keep my gaze away from him.

He tilts his head to the side, as I smell his cologne making my heartbeat fasten. His eyes trail down to my lips, making my heartbeat thud at my chest.

He leans in closer to me, no no no. This is wrong and totally not happening today.

I cover his mouth, squeezing my eyes shut. A moment later, I move my hand away.

He lays his soft hand on my cheek, as he caresses it softly. "What happened?" He asks.

I sigh, "You—we can't just ignore what's been going on." I explain, frowning.

He shakes his head, "Inaya, I'm fine. I've had time to think over things and sort out some too. I'm fine." He tries to convince me, it sounds more like he's trying to convincing himself.

"Don't try and convince yourself when it isn't the truth, Daniel." I lay my forehead on top of his as I stand there wondering how different we are. "You're attending parties rather than grieving or sharing it with someone else, your pain. You keep me close than push me away at times which are hard." I state to him, he needs to know how I feel in our relationship the same way I should know how he feels too.

Our lives are completely different from one another.

"As long as I have you, I'm fine." He states calmly making my heart flutter. "And I'm sorry that I became distant but I promise you that I'm good now. I won't let go of you, Inaya." He gives me a massive grin, which reminds me of the old Daniel.

My Daniel.

"Are you sure?" I whisper, as he takes a step closer between us.

He nods as he snakes his arms around my waist, pulling me close to him. I tighten my arms around his neck as I hold him close for a moment, enjoying this. "I won't push you away anymore." He mentions, I nod against his chest.

I have missed this.

I know that I need to speak to Daniel about marriage, it has been long enough to do so.

"Daniel?" I mumble against his chest.

"Hm?"

"I need to speak to you about something." I state, inside I'm literally terrified of where this could possibly go but I'm hoping it will go well.

"Okay princess." He mentions, making my heart flutter. "Now?" He raises a brow.

I nod, as I start to walk away hoping he would trail behind me. To which he does, as he intertwines our fingers together.

I hear a few gasps from the party inside making me nervous, not a lot of people actually have realised what me and Daniel are - which is surprising, since he is the most popular boy in the university.

We sit down by a lake, as I notice the beauty of our surroundings. The moon is reflecting gorgeously in the lake, taking me by surprise.

The music has faded from here, making me feel more comfortable.

Daniel faces me, as he uses his other hand to rake through his hair.

"You know how this isn't right and that you are not a Muslim." I point between us, stating the obvious for him to be Muslim.

His grip only tightens as if he's afraid I'll leave him.

"I can't marry you, unless you actually become a Muslim and learn to accept Islam." I state the obvious, hoping he'd know about it.

But he genuinely seems surprised. I don't know whether it is from the fact I mentioned marriage or becoming Muslim?

"Wait, marriage?" He seems concerned.

I gulp out of nervousness. My eyes glance over at the lake, trying to calm my thoughts.

I nod.

In one swift move, he turns me to face him making me feel all giggly inside.

"Inaya." His voice comes out raspy. "Enlighten me about Islam. Teach me everything. I want to learn on this journey with you." He caresses my cheek, ever so gently.

A massive grin is displayed on my face, "Really?" My mood has definitely lightened up.

He nods in response, smiling at me.

- - -

- A/N -

Will Daniel continue to push away people who come close to him or will he learn that it's okay to share your pain with your loved ones? 🤔

Will he learn about Islam open-minded or close that door?

Many questions... sadly no answers, yet!
Guess you're going to have to wait and see! 💘

Next update : Friday 29th May 2020