23

• • •

Turns out my first exam went really well, Alhumdulillah (Thanks be to God). In fact, I'm pretty sure throughout the whole exam I was just peacefully humming to myself internally due to the exam being so easy and surprisingly fun to do. 

I kept on glancing over to Hania, hoping she would be okay. It seemed to me, that she was fine as I saw her grinning mostly. She always worries but I know she's a smart girl and can literally achieve anything!

I was unsure about Daniel, worried about he possibly was. Everything he's been through lately has been rough, I don't know if his focus was in the exam or not.

"The exam went really well." Hania munches on her sandwich, as she sits in the cafeteria with me.

I nod to what she says, I totally agree with her.

"That's amazing, Hania." I give her a soft smile.

I look around, hoping Daniel would be somewhere near so I could speak with him about his exam.

"I know who you're looking for." Hania smirks at me. I roll my eyes at her.

Folding my arms over my chest I face her, "Han, I'm not looking for anybody." I try to convince her which only makes her laugh to which I end up giggling too.

A sudden text arises from my phone, I flip it out to see I've received a few texts. All from my family about how my exam went this morning - they were quick to remember the timings of the exam.

"Any from Daniel, by any chance?" Hania nudges my shoulder, smirking.

I smack her arm, "Nope." I stick my tongue out at her which only makes us both laugh.

"So, you're telling me that in Islam marriage is the right way to go for relationships?" Suddenly, I hear a familiar voice as Daniel sits down next to me.

I take a look at him, his pool of chocolate eyes literally melt me. His hair is sort of messy, but also styled at the same time. His grin is high enough to make my heart skip a beat. I know that he will never miss the opportunity to make sure he works out enough to keep that muscular body intact.

"Inaya, it's not nice to stare." He pouts.

I roll my eyes, flipping back into reality. "I-I wasn't." I admit, lying obviously. I look around to notice Hania has slowly slipped away, as I see her wink at me from afar.

He smirks, making my heart pound at my chest. "I don't like liars." He says the same line that I've said to him before.

"I don't like you." I pout now, which makes him giggle.

"But I like you too much now, Inaya." His hand trails up towards mine. I pull mine away, which takes him by surprise.

"I'm afraid I don't reciprocate." I tease.

He rolls his eyes, "Wouldn't you love to hear one of my pick up lines?" He winks at me, making my heart flutter.

I lay my hand on his mouth, "No thank you!" Quickly, I change the subject as I remove my hand away from his charming lips.

"How was your exam?" I ask, genuinely wanting to know.

He grins, "It went well, yours partner?" I missed the little nickname.

I grin, "Really well." For a moment, we just stare into each other's eyes as I see his desire grow deeper within his eyes... for me? I look away, a little too quickly out of nervousness.

"Islam doesn't allow this until marriage?" Daniel clarifies with me, as he points between him and I.

I nod at him strictly, "Marriage is the only way..." I trail off as I tap my knees out of nervousness.

He seems interested, as he sits back stretching for a moment. As I watch his biceps contract, I feel the butterflies in my stomach explode.

He smirks knowing the effect he has on me, I roll my eyes at him.

"My mother's funeral was a couple of weeks back." He randomly says, I take full notice as I urge him to go on. "That was one of the things I had to sort when I wasn't coming into university." He mumbles underneath his breath.

"The whole upper-rich community had heard, how my mother died. Surprisingly, the blame wasn't put on me. I mostly was given pity, but I didn't want pity. I wanted my mother back. I wanted her home." He whispers gently.

I hold his face in my hands, "You're amazing."

He grins looking up at me, "My father has come to terms with me. He no longer blames me for the death, even though it slips off his tongue somehow." He sighs, "I do feel guilty still although. I am the reason for her death practically." His voice has a crack in it.

I shake my head, "You are not to blame, Daniel. Stop blaming and hurting yourself, you're only making it worse for yourself." I reassure him, wanting him to know it's okay to grieve.

One thing I've realised about Daniel is that no matter how hurt or how much pain he is in, he won't let it be shown on the outside. His jokey, playful side of himself is always shown. He lets his feelings go aside and deals with them later.

How he deals with them? He hurts himself, because at the end of the day he goes back to his house or his dorm by himself and he's engulfed by his thoughts and feelings.

That's what hurts me the most. Knowing that I can't be there for him in his darkest moments, even though I want to be.

I can try to help him, but he will only heal if he's ready to let go of his mother. If he's ready to understand that it isn't his fault. If he's ready, to express himself to me. He's been through things which are upsetting - not having the right support by others for a while.

It may still be too early, but I know he is strong enough to get through this.

- - -

- A/N -

Who's your favourite character? ✨

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, please vote and comment so I know how y'all feel about the story! 🤪

Next update : Monday 1st June 2020