S13 | Sleepless Nights

• • •

Author: -serendipxty-

Critic: Preshy-chan

• • •

|BOOK COVER

- The book cover is aesthetically pleasing and at the same time, malinis tignan, and appropriate for the theme and genre of the story. Wala na akong may maisa-suggest pa dito sa book cover since lahat ng elements ay okay naman siya at akma naman.

Nakakahatak siya ng mambabasa. It gave the right impression that the story is something about mystery. And some chase will happen. That someone is struggling to get out from the mess but there is no way out. Yung larawan pa lang sa pabalat, parang sinabi niya sa akin na may mangyayaring masama sa kuwento at ito ang nagbibigay ng impression na dapat abangan at basahin talaga ang kwento. 

Kudos sa book cover editor nito.

|TITLE

-Sleepless Nights. The title itself indicates a disorder. It gives the ominous vibe which is right for the genre of the story. Hindi makatulog ang mga character/ maybe ang bida. Bakit kaya? What keeps them sleepless and widely awake at night? Simple title pero may kulo. There is that menacing feeling when I read the title plus idagdag pa yung pabalat. Bongga.

|BLURB

-You started the blurb with a question. A question which hinted a tragic love and life story to me, the reader. Isang sentence pa lang masakit na.  It was then followed by a brief description of what will happen, a general preview which is connected to the title and the book cover.  The main character, the setting, the conflict, the mystery killer are all present. Good job. There's this one word in the blurb that set the bar high- the word unforgettable. For that, I looked forward into reading the story to find out if it would really be unforgettable.

It's very brief and concise pero nakakahatak siya ng attention and curiousity at lahat ng dapat naming malaman at i-expect ay nandon na without actually revealing the the whole story because the problem is generalized. So may kiliti of finding out who is this killer who threatens the bida? What kind of threat/s? At bakit pati whole town damay?

Lastly, the writing style of this blurb kind of reminds me of New York Times novels.
Prologue

The first paragraph of prologue caught my attention. Inuna mong i-describe ang scenario, and atmosphere, the time before the person. At pagkatapos, isinunod mo ang nararamdaman niya, ang iniisip niya. Her name wasn't yet indicated here. And only one of her physical features has been showed here, yet it is enough.   

Showing and telling are clearly balanced here. Kumbaga sa drinks, masasabi kong nasa tamang timpla ito. I felt and imagined the dramatic scene because of this. A suicidal girl stood at the cliff, in front of the deep sea, on the sunset hour. The sentimental and melancholic feeling is there, from the atmosphere of the setting, to the girl's expression and thoughts.   

Maikli lang siya pero nandon na yung main character, tapos yung kalaban, at yong taong tinitresure niya sa puso niya( lolo niya).  Akala ko, the man will save her from drowning and will become her ally/love interest. Turns out, the man is actually chasing her and caught her underwater tapos sinaksak siya sa puso. Damn that's cruel. I could tell the blood lust and the intent to kill by the person.  Puso talaga ang tinira.