Gᴏᴛ Aɴʏᴛʜɪɴɢ Iɴ Lᴇᴀᴛʜᴇʀ?

"If you are quite finished? We need to get going." Lucius reminded the teens.

"Where are we going, Father?" Draco asked getting to his feet.

"Diagon Alley. Iris needs a new wardrobe and I understand you need a few new books?"

"Oh. I'd forgotten." Draco said going to change his clothes.

"You don't have to Mr. Malfoy. I was going to transfigure some stuff later on when I got the time." Iris said still sitting at the table, picking up a quill and toying with it.

"It is no trouble and it is Lucius, remember? You are family now and no family of mine is going to walk around dressed in rags. Or have to transfigure their own clothes. You deserve the best and that is what you are going to get. Now hurry along please, we have an appointment in half an hour."

"Yes sir," Iris murmured and went to put on her school robe.

Hmm, it would seem the girl reverts to formal address when she is unsure. She had no problem calling me by my name last night when we were relaxing and chatting over hot cocoa. I'll have to keep an eye on that. Lucius mused waiting for the mates to return.

~ ϟ ~

Iris walked between Lucius and Draco as they headed outside towards Hogwarts' wards. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and there was only a soft breeze flitting in and out of the treetops. Iris smiled; if she tried, it was almost as if she could hear tiny silvery laughter. Taking a deep breath, she let the autumn air fill her lungs and she felt strangely content. It was as if her entire being was recharged once she was away from the stony halls. As if the walls of her only home had been holding her down and penning her in.

Shaking her head, she pushed such nonsense to the side and returned her focus on the easy banter between father and son. Never in a million years would she have imagined the dignified Lucius Malfoy to actually have a sense of humor. Or have a soft side where his son was concerned. Talk about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde! Iris thought amused. What you saw was most definitely not what you received when it came to Malfoys.

And that went for both of them. Draco was an entirely different person when they were alone and Iris was beginning to realize that she too had only seen the mask they presented to the world. Not the real persons hiding behind it. Merlin, she had been such a child! But then, there hadn't been anyone around to teach her such things, had there?

"Such deep thoughts for such a lovely morning." Lucius' voice cut in, bringing her back to the here and now. Blushing Iris realized they had passed the wards and that Lucius was holding out a portkey she was yet to touch. Feeling her entire face grow hot, Iris quickly placed two fingers on the disk Mr. Malfoy held and then came that hated feeling of a hook behind her navel, jerking her through space.

Iris landed with a hard thud and it was only the quick grab on her arm from Lucius that prevented her from falling to the ground. Eyes closed and breathing deeply she fought the nausea and the terror that swept through her. Not there, not there, I'm not there! was the mantra she clung to and eventually the feelings died down and she became aware of her surroundings once more.

Opening her eyes, Iris saw she was standing in a large fitting room with three people looking at her in concern. Ducking her head she murmured: "I'm alright now. I just really hate portkeys."

Lucius nodded and let go of the arm he was holding, prepared to catch the girl if needed, but Iris was firmly on her feet and took a few steps forward, looking around with curiosity.

"Welcome Misters Malfoy and Miss Potter. I am Henri and I understand one of you are in need of my services?" the tailor said, ever the expert. He was going to pretend that little episode had never happened. He did not intend to lose the Malfoys as his clients. Very bad for business that. Very bad indeed.