Mᴀɪʟ Cᴀʟʟ II

Tuesday, Sep 17

Lucius watched with a bemused smile as Iris was lost in her own world, deaf to the happenings around her. Sitting opposite to her was Draco, who was getting increasingly annoyed at being ignored by his mate. Figuring it was time to step in before his son resorted to hexing, Lucius gracefully summoned the two boxes he had prepared earlier. Placing them before the oblivious Iris, Lucius stated, "I believe you are in need of something to do."

"Huh? What? Did someone say something?" Iris asked, brought back to the here and now by a sharp kick from Draco. "Ouch, that bloody hurt!" she added with a snap, reaching forward to rub the offended spot.

"You only now noticed?" Draco asked with a drawl, doing his best to hide his annoyance, but by Salazar, he didn't like being ignored, particularly not when it was his mate that was doing the ignoring.

Iris lifted an eyebrow; not understanding what had thrown Draco into a snit.

"Salazar, Iris, what is the matter with you? You are sitting there, but you haven't heard a word anyone's said to you since you locked yourself away with my father. What the hell is going on?"

"Language, Dragon," Lucius said warningly, causing the boy to blush slightly, but he didn't back down.

Iris blinked, then she ducked her head and blushed, cursing herself for arousing the Veela's suspicions. Suddenly feeling very thankful for the distraction Lucius had provided her, Iris peeked inside the boxes, noting a large amount of what looked like envelopes.

"I'm sorry, Draco. I apologize, Severus and Lucius. I didn't mean to ignore you all like that. It's just..." Iris trailed off, not sure what to say. Taking a deep breath, she turned her attention fully to Draco, intent on doing some damage control. "It's just that I have come up with the perfect gift to give to you, Draco, only I need to do some plotting first. I truly am sorry for ignoring you that was never my intent. Can you forgive me?"

Draco huffed in annoyance, yet he couldn't help but smile tenderly at the sincere apology. And now he was being eaten up with curiosity, wondering what in the world Iris wanted to give to him that caused her to space out like that. "I forgive you, Iris. I guess I can understand wanting to make plans, but..."

"No buts," Iris said sternly, just knowing that the Veela was once again trying to tell her it wasn't necessary. "I want to do this. I want to surprise you, and show you just how much you mean to me. Please, Draco, please let me do this?" Iris pleaded, unconsciously sending a very potent puppy-dog look at him.

Draco caved immediately. How could he not when faced with that look? Leaning forward, the blond captured one of Iris's hands, giving it a light squeeze. "Plot and plan as many surprises as you wish, love," the Veela said with a tender smile.

"Good! 'Cause I plan to, whether you like it or not," Iris stated with a triumphant smirk, giving the hand holding hers a gentle squeeze in reply. "So, what is all this?" she asked, turning her attention to the boxes, not letting go of Draco's hand.

"The large box is filled with letters from people who are supporting you," Lucius replied, indicating the box in question. "I have spent the time waiting for you to get back from the detention to go through your mail. Most were rubbish; nothing but marriage proposals, offers of carrying children, or attempts to beg you for money. I have dealt with them accordingly," Lucius added, giving Draco a pointed look.

Draco received the hidden message and backed off on the tantrum he was about to throw.

"However, there was a surprising amount of letters from wizards and witches who merely wanted to offer you their support. For one reason or another, they do not agree with the current uproar, and they wished for you to know this. My suggestion to you is to write them a nice letter back, thanking them for their gesture," Lucius said, sitting back in his chair, watching the two teens expectantly.