Cᴏɴғʀᴏɴᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

"Iris! There you are! What happened to you yesterday? You never showed up in Potions. Professor Snape was not pleased! Oh, yes, here's your homework and here's my notes," Hermione said pushing a stack of parchments into Iris's hands before she could get a word in edgewise.

Rolling her eyes at Draco, she accepted the stack and put them into her bag. "Good morning 'Mione, Ron," Iris said with forced cheer. She knew it was interrogation time and not for the first time she resented the way her friends were acting towards her. What had happened to her friends? And when had they become his bloody keepers? I wonder how much of what I say is reported back to Dumbledore verbatim, she added in her thoughts, startled at how bitter she sounded. Remembering this morning's musings Iris came to the startling realization that she had already written off the two standing before her, and was no longer considering them as her friends. They were just two people she knew, their opinions no longer mattered to her. She just hadn't wanted to admit it to herself, hadn't been prepared to let go of five years of friendship, even if it had been one-sided.

"Hiya mate." Ron said clapping Iris on the shoulder. "So what did happen to you yesterday?"

"I overdid things in class and ended up spending the afternoon in the hospital wing," Draco drawled coming to his mate's rescue.

Ron gave him a pitying look causing both teens to bristle in resentment. "Too bad Malfoy, but why didn't Iris show up for class?"

"Because I am a Veela and she is my mate?" Draco asked lifting an eyebrow, looking at the redhead as if he was an imbecile.

"Do you mean to tell me that Iris is joined at your hip? That he can't do anything if you aren't around? That's just sick!" Ron nearly shouted gaining the attention of those nearby.

Iris rolled her eyes. "Really Ron, couldn't you have shouted just a tad bit louder?" she asked. "I was with Draco while Pomfrey examined him. We were talking and then we both fell asleep. And no, we aren't joined by the hip. I suggest you actually learn a bit about Veelas before sprouting off nonsense."

"But Iris, Ron has a point," Hermione cut in giving her a reproving look. "Until you bond, Draco won't want you out of his sight, and even after you bond he will keep tabs on your every move. That isn't healthy and you should be allowed your own life and not be forced to live whatever life Malfoy deems worthy."

"Please! What trashy novels have you been reading lately?" Iris scoffed. "For your information I went to the Owlery this morning. Alone," she added meaningfully. "And Draco here did not throw a fit. He didn't even interrogate me or demand to know where I'd been. Unlike some people I won't name. Now, we better hurry or we'll be late for class," Iris said with a snort and ignoring her friend's gaping mouths she stalked down the corridor, Draco at her side.

"Nice!" the blond drawled. "However, you do know that the only reason I didn't 'throw a fit' was because Father could tell me where you were? That and I noticed the letter you'd written last night was gone."

Iris glanced at Draco, amusement evident on her face. "But they don't know that, do they? And there is no reason to tell them either, is there? 'Forced to live whatever life Malfoy deems worthy', please! It makes me sound like your lapdog or something! As if I'd allow you to control my life like that!" Iris snorted rolling her eyes in exasperation, yet there was a small nagging doubt at the back of her mind. How much free will would she have once the two had bonded? Maybe it was time to take her own advice. With everything that had been going on she hadn't had time to do any reading about Veelas. She didn't know more today than she had at the end of term, having only the scant information they'd gotten during those two lectures the Hogwarts staff had provided when Draco had come into his inheritance last June.