Do You Have Any Money?

I woke up nice and early. I don't have a watch; however I'm guessing it's around eight. Sophie and Luka are still asleep so I didn't move. I sat still thinking of what we are going to do.

We have to get money so I'm thinking all of us are going to go around and ask people for cash. I don't like asking anyone for help but we really need it.

I'm also not only asking help for myself but for Luka and Sophie. They matter most, more than anyone in this world. Not even my own parents can replace them.

I love them, I've taken care of them when no one else did. I'm the person they can rely on, the person that will be there for them no matter what happens.

Luka woke up and shortly Sophie did, too.

"Good morning, how did you guys sleep?" I wondered, trying to keep everything in our normal routine. Usually, Sophie just goes along with whatever Luka says.

"I didn't sleep good," Luka confessed. I already knew why.

"I know, I'm sorry buddy," I apologized.

"Well, what did you dream about?"

"I dreamed that I was riding a dragon," Luka explained.

"Yeah, he was a nice draggy," Sophie mentioned. I laughed at her adorable voice.

"Oh, really huh." I began to tickle Sophie's stomach. She giggled and I eventually stopped.

We sat on the concrete in our own thoughts. I waited for them to wake up more before telling them what we will be doing today.

"Okay, kiddos today we are going to try and get some money!" I exclaimed.

"Why?" Luka questioned.

"Because, we need money so we can eat," I justified.

I told Luka that he will have to stay by me when we ask the people. I also told Sophie that I'll be holding her.

.............................................................

Together, we waited for someone to walk past us. A boy was jogging before I stopped him.

The man took his black earbuds out. I thought about what to say and asked the important question.

"Do you have any money?" I asked. The guy looked at me with sadness.

"I'm sorry but I didn't bring my wallet with me," he defined.

"Oh, umm it's okay. Have a nice day," I said. The man gave me a smile and went on with his jog.

Great, the man had no money. I guess this is going to be harder than it seems.

The three of us waited a little bit longer. I got impatient and decided we should walk towards the nearby library.

Not many people go to the library early in the morning but I saw a few people.

"Do you have any money?" I questioned.

"What's it for?" the man asked.

"My ummm siblings and I are homeless and we need money for food and stuff," I illuminated.

"Well, you don't look homeless," the man sustained. What?! I don't look homeless! Well, I'm sorry that I don't have dirty clothes and have messy hair.

"I.. I can assure you that we are," I defended.

"Listen, kid if you wanted money for drugs, I'm sorry but I'm not giving it to you."

Wait, he thinks I'm pretending to be homeless?! I started to become angry. This man had no right to disrespect us like that!

Tears filled my eyes, due to the fact I was so mad.

"Sorry, but tears won't work either kid," he announced.

I wanted to punch his stupid face; however I took a deep breathe.

"I'm sorry, I hope you have a nice day," I lied. I hope he has the worst day of his life! He looked at me confused before walking into the library. Luka, Sophie, and I stood there for about an hour.

A woman with two kids then walked past us. "Can you please give us money?"

The kind woman grabbed her wallet out of her purse. "I don't have much money but here's everything that I have on me," she announced.

She handed me a five dollar bill. "Thank you so much."

"You're welcome," she said. Luka thanked her and she smiled at him. They then walked into the library.

"If you see someone in need, promise me that you'll help them," I demanded Luka.

"Promise," Luka said. I grabbed his small hand and we walked across the street to the gas station.

Together, we got one large bag of Lay's Barbecue chips for $2.49, two mini subs for $2.00, and a honey bun for $0.50.

I walked out of that store with a grin on my face. I ate some of the chips, Luka and Sophie ate the sub sandwiches, and once they were done I ripped the honey bun in half.

Luka took a half, I ripped my half in half and gave one side to Sophie and I ate the other one.

The chips were somewhat full so we can eat those tomorrow. I'm still hungry; meanwhile I'm thankful for the fact that Luka and Sophie had a good breakfast.

Truth be told, I'm very angry about what the man said. He thought he had the right to say that we aren't homeless. Never, in my life have I heard a person say such a thing to anyone.

Although that happened, I can still say today was a success. The goal was to get money for food and we did. I wish we had gotten some more money so we could have gotten diapers; meanwhile at the end of the day we could have gotten no money.

As Sophie was eating her honey bun she rocked her head side to side, doing her happy dance.