Thank You So Much

"Good morning," Iris whispered. I slowly woke up, seeing Iris wake Alena and Leanna up. They got out of bed and left the room. I sat up as I saw Iris look at me. She gave me a smile.

"Did you sleep well?" Iris asked.

"Yes," I responded.

"What school did you use to go to?" Iris questioned.

"Unity High School," I said.

"Okay, do you want me to take you to school tomorrow?" Iris wondered. Should I go? "If not, it's okay. You can just go another day."

"Ummm, okay. I can go tomorrow. " I answered.

"That's perfectly fine but does Luka or Sophie go to school?"

"Luka, does," I informed her. I heard Iris waking Luka up.

"Huh?" Luka groaned.

"Do you want to go to school tomorrow, buddy?"

"No, don't make me go! Please, don't make me go!" Luka cried.

"Okay, buddy. I won't make you go," Iris explained. Why is she so nice to us? We did nothing to deserve her kindness.

"I don't ever want to go back," Luka wailed.

"Okay, we'll figure something out," Iris stated. Luka, calmed down, laying back down. Iris looked at me as she said breakfast would be ready soon. I told her okay and she walked away. I stretched as I got off the bed.

Last night, I slept hard. I felt refreshed and felt happy. My life is beginning to go back on track...at last!

I sat at the kitchen table. I placed my head on my hand, having my elbow on the table. I watched Iris cook breakfast.

"Why doesn't Luka like school? If you don't mind me asking," Iris asked.

"No, it's fine but last time he went... we were still homeless and I'm guessing the other kids picked on him," I clarified.

"Kids, these days," Iris said, rolling her eyes, making me chuckle. She laughed and continued to cook breakfast.

"What do you do for a living?" I wondered.

"I'm a teacher at the daycare," Iris answered.

"Oh, that's cool."

"Yeah," Iris said.

"How long have you worked there?" I questioned. I tried my hardest to stay away from awkward silence.

"I've worked there for three years now," Iris enlightened.

"Do you like it?" I interrogated.

"You ask a lot of questions," Iris punned.

"I got to know who I'm living with," I joked.

"You're right," Iris declared. "I do like my job. I love working with kids and I could take Nolan to work with me before he started going to school."

Iris is an amazing woman. I couldn't imagine living with anyone else! Nolan, Alena, and Leanna ran into the kitchen, sitting at the table. Iris sat there plates in front of them.

"I'm hoping waffles are okay with you," Carted desired.

"That's perfect."

Carter, Iris, and I laughed. Iris handed me a plate.

"Thank you so much... for everything," I expressed my appreciation.

"You're welcome," Iris replied. I cut my waffles, taking a bite. The sweetness of chocolate filled my mouth as these were chocolate waffles.

..................................................................................

Everyone finished their breakfast; waffles and a side of juice. Luka and Sophie are still asleep, thank goodness.

"Get your backpacks, it's time to leave," Iris demanded. Nolan, Leanna, and Alena ran to get their backpacks near the door.

Nolan has a Paw Patrol backpack, Leanna has a Hello Kitty bag, and Alena has just a plain purple bag.

"Go to the car with daddy."

Carter opened the door for the kids. They all went outside, leaving the door open behind them.

"I can take Luka and Sophie to my work, if you want some peace and quiet," Iris described.

"I don't want you to have to worry about them," I defined.

"You don't have to worry. I'm okay with watching them and I promise they'll be safe. I won't let anything happen to them, trust me," Iris clarified. I took a deep breath.

"Okay, I trust you," I said.

"Thank you, I know how hard it must be to trust other people," Iris explained. I nodded as she walked upstairs to get Sophie and Luka. It took a minute but they all walked downstairs, Sophie in Iris' arms.

The door was shut and I was all alone. I walked over to the pictures on top of the fireplace, in the living room. There were pictures of Iris, Alena, Leanna, Nolan, and Carter at a water park.

Pictures of them on Christmas and school pictures. Sadness appeared as the thought of how we'll never have pictures of us hanging on the wall or pictures on a fireplace.

Luka, Sophie, and I won't have family pictures to memorize upon. We have nothing but each other and the family we'll be staying with for only a short amount of time.

It's hard to think about not having a family, a family like Alena, Leanna, and Nolan's.

I grabbed the remote off of the coffee table, turning the TV on. On the Roku, I scrolled to Netflix turning on Lady Driver. It seemed interesting so I watched it.

After, watching that movie. I laid down in boredom . What's school going to be like tomorrow? Will it be the same? Will kids think I'm the "Quiet Girl" because I don't have time to deal with anyone.

Will someone talk about me being homeless? What if someone from school saw me on the side of the street!

Oh, no! What if the whole school knows! My chest went up and down, struggling to get air. I laid my hand on my chest, trying to calm down. No, one probably knows.

"Nobody, saw you," I whispered. My breathing started to get back to normal. I'm craving that no one saw!