20.

HELLO!

I am so sorry that it's taken me a month to update! Please read the Author's note at the end!

I really hope you enjoy reading this chapter!

(CHAPTER IS UNEDITED!)

*_*_*

There's something about the way that you always see the pretty view
Overlook the blooded mess, always lookin' effortless
And still you, still you want me
I got no innocence, faith ain't no privilege
I am a deck of cards, vice or a game of hearts
And still you, still you want me

-Imagine Dragons

Alaric's declaration that he would be more understanding took effect immediately.

He had started to change for the better, he was more caring and understanding; than I had ever expected. It seemed like he was really trying to prove himself to me.

The day after my heat had ended, I had gotten sick with a fever. It didn't last long thankfully, but it had left my body drained. Alaric had thought it was best that I recovered in peace. That just meant we had stayed in the spare room for a few days, as Alaric's room was still messed up from when I had broken through the wall.

It was only today that the wall had finally been repaired.

The whole time that I was sick, Alaric didn't fail to stay by my side and care for me. Whenever my head was burning up, he'd be quick to cool me down with a wet cloth. He made sure that I was hydrated and even made me homemade soup. He had kept his promise of trying to prove that he could be a better mate.

The pack doctors deemed that the fever arose due to the new changes my body had endured. I hadn't shifted since the second day of my heat, and I didn't feel like shifting anytime soon.

The thought of going through all that pain again was enough to put me off shifting for life, but I knew I couldn't do that to my wolf. I could feel her growing agitated at the back of my mind, and it was taking all the strength I had to repress her urges to shift.

"Do you want me to make popcorn or nachos?" Alaric asked, shrugging out of his suit jacket.

"Can't you make both?" I smiled, hopping off the bed. I had just woken up from a nap, well Alaric had woken me up stating that I had slept the day away.

It was the mid-afternoon, and he had just come back from inspecting the sectors of Regnum. Due to my fever, he had put his Alpha duties on hold, much to my protest. I didn't like the fact that he had dropped his responsibilities for me, giving Elijah and Adam a heavier workload.

I focused my attention on my mate, and tried not to be embarrassed as he smirked at me. Alaric took of his grey shirt and replaced it with a grey Tshirt, that was tightly fitted across his toned chest.

"Did you not have lunch?" he asked, tossing his shirt into the laundry hamper.

"I did, but you can't give me a choice. You have to make both!" I grinned, shaking my hair out of the messy bun I had done earlier.

Alaric shook his head but smiled warmly, at me. "Only for you Valerie."

I followed him down to the kitchen, and watched intently as he began to prepare the nachos. I made sure to take notes because Alaric's nachos were unbelievable. I wasn't sure if it was the two types of cheese that he used or the way that he didn't smother salsa on the chips, but whatever he did; the nachos were beyond delicious.