28.

I'm bleedin' out
So if the last thing that I do
Is bring you down
I'll bleed out for you
So I bare my skin and I count my sins
And I close my eyes and I take it in
I'm bleedin' out
I'm bleedin' out for you, for you

- Imagine Dragons

Alaric

I could feel the bright sun streaming onto my body.

I sat up, running a hand through my hair, as my eyes searched for my mate. I could feel her strong presence in the room but I could barely see her laying on the bed in a tangled heap of her limbs and the bedsheets.

The sweet smell of her scent and the smell of her heat were thick in the suffocating air. It was potent and mouthwatering, causing my wolf to stir within me. I could feel my sharp canines extending, the fur starting to sprout at the back of my neck. The beast within me wanted nothing more than to rip free and claim what was his.

I held back the urges that were pushing me to mate with her. It wasn't easy, as every time I breathed in, my nostrils filled with her sweet scent.

I stood up from the floor, popping my bones and joints into place, which was stiff from the uncomfortable position I had slept in. My legs had a mind of their own as I walked towards the bed where Valerie lay. She was passed out, her eyes closed, her body twisted in an awkward position with the sheets barely covering her upper body. Her chest was exposed to me, and out of respect, I pulled the sheet over her, concealing her delectable skin.

"Valerie," I whispered, sitting on the edge of the bed. I made sure not to sit too near her, but my fingertips itched to touch her. My hands ached to feel her soft skin, to caress the silkiness, and to feel the electrifying currents between us. I knew that as soon as I put my hands on her I wouldn't be able to control myself.

Valerie's breathing was shallow, the rise and fall of her chest weren't at a normal pace. She took a while to take a breath in, and she waited longer to exhale out.

"Hey, sweetheart," I said louder.

She didn't even stir.

"Valerie, wake up!"

"Valerie!" I yelled, placing my hand on her arm, tingles of electricity and heat shot through me. I began to shake her, my skin prickled with sparks at every fibre.

She wouldn't wake up, no matter how loud I shouted or how hard I shook her.

She wasn't asleep, she was unconscious.

Twenty minutes.

That was how long it took before a pack doctor came. My blood boiled under my skin, frustrated and angry at how long it had taken for the doctor to come. He had  Valerie to an IV drip, keeping her hydrated, as well as a monitor to keep track of her heart rate.

"This is her second heat, is that correct Alpha," the doctor asked.

"Yes."

"The second one is always the worst but due to the nature of who she is mated to, it appears that she is physically drained. Was she alone last night?"

"No, I was with her, she was awake all through the night until around six this morning," I said.

"Alpha, are you s-"

I growled loudly, anger rushing through me, and the doctor shut his mouth instantly. "Of course, I'm fucking sure!"

"I meant no disrespect-"

"You are not the head doctor, why the hell did he not come? Instead, he sends a useless worm to do his job instead," I snarled out, feeling fur at the back of my neck start to sprout out.