21.

Crawling in my skin
These wounds, they will not heal
Fear is how I fall
Confusing what is real

-Linkin Park

Alaric

The fearful look in her purple eyes, should have made me snap out of my wrath filled mind... but it didn't.

If anything, her fear was feeding the beast inside me.

Valerie swallowed hard, unable to comprehend what she was seeing. She was locked in place, in between the hallway and the threshold of the kitchen.

"Alaric?" She gasped out my name, in a tone of pure fear and bewilderment.

Of course, she wasn't used to seeing the dangerous and murderous side to me. It wasn't everyday that she saw her mate covered in the thick crimson substance of blood.

"W-what... what happened?" She whispered so quietly that it hadn't felt like the words had left her lips.

"What do you think happened?" I scoffed bitterly.

I didn't miss the way she flinched at my tone. Even though she tried not to show it, I could see the hurt in her eyes.

Control yourself Alaric, she's done nothing wrong, the voice of reason echoed inside my head.

I was stood behind the kitchen island, a glass of untouched whiskey placed in front of me. I hadn't been home for very long, and I didn't expect Valerie to wake up so soon.

I knew it was a bad idea to come home but yet a part of me thought that Valerie would make me feel better and soothe the rage within. If anything, her presence was conflicting me.

Valerie's soft footsteps filled the sudden quietness and as I looked up, she was making her way towards me. Her slow and unsure movements was what the beast inside me craved. He enjoyed her vulnerability and innocence.

He even enjoyed spending the night causing bloodshed and murdering rogue wolves.

"Are you hurt?" Valerie whispered, standing a foot away from me.

Of course, she'd ask about my well-being. She presumably thought that the blood all over me, was mine.

"No."

I could see her fighting an internal battle. Her eyes flashed different emotions. Determination.  Uncertainty. Fear.

"I don't want you to be angry," she whispered out, her voice was shaky holding onto the uncertainty that she felt.

It was already too late, anger had consumed me to the point that if Valerie continued to question me; I couldn't be accounted for my actions. I couldn't even give her a reply, and restrained myself from saying something I'd regret.

I closed my eyes and breathed in heavily, the stench of copper and blood filled my nose. The stains of blood were all over the kitchen, something I hadn't intended to do; it just happened.

"Alaric," she breathed out my name hesitantly.

My wolf stirred under the surface, growing impatient with both myself and Valerie. Since I had marked Valerie, he'd been on edge. Restricting him from connecting with her had made him an infernal pain in my arse.

"Please look at me."

I refused to even take a glance at her perfect face. I couldn't allow her to see anymore of the carnage that was stained in my eyes.