26.

The images of a dozen pair of purple eyes, staring at me hadn't left my mind.

For the last two nights, I had the exact same dream and it had gotten to the point where I was unsure of whether it was a good dream or a nightmare. Nothing bad happened in the dream and nothing good happened either, it was weird. Different shades of purple eyes stared at me, and I always found myself staring back in a daze. The eyes barely blinked, and they didn't show any emotion but I knew they were watching and observing me.

At first, I thought it was just my wolf, messing with my head but it wasn't. Each night, it was always the same dream purple eyes just staring; barely even blinking. I was lost in a trance, unable to break away and each time I woke up, my head would pound with a frustrating headache.

"I didn't realise you woke up before me," Alaric's voice stated as I heard him walk into the kitchen. "That's a first."

I lifted my head up, as soon as he stood beside me. I was seated at the island counter in the kitchen, and I had been in the same position for the last three hours. It was seven in the morning, and I had woken up so early with a head full of confusion and pain.

Alaric smiled softly at me, grazing his fingertips against my cheek. I leaned into his touch and tried to return the smile back, but I couldn't.

"I didn't hear you leave the room," he murmured.

That was because I hadn't intended for him to hear me leave. I didnt want him to realise I had gone or that I was having crazy dreams.

"I guess you were in a deep sleep," I said with a shrug.

"Maybe," he replied. He walked around the island and towards the fridge. "Have you eaten?"

"Nope, not yet. I'm not hungry," I said and it was true. I didn't feel like eating and my stomach hadn't demanded food.

"Well at least have something small," Alaric said, reaching for the fruit bowl. He grabbed an apple and placed it in front of me.

I looked at the apple, feeling no interest or any desire to eat it. I could feel Alaric's worrying gaze on me, as concern flooded through our mate bond.

"Something's wrong," he stated firmly. I kept my eyes cast down, unwilling to make eye contact.

When Alaric realised I didn't want to look at him, he said my name in a scolding tone. "Valerie?"

"Nothing is wrong," I said, trying to sound convincing. I looked up, knowing that I had to show him that I was fine.

He didn't look convinced, as he narrowed his eyes in deep thought. "If there is something bothering you, I'd like to know."

"There's nothing bothering me," I said. I slid down from the stool and tugged my pyjama shorts down. "I'm going to get dressed."

I walked away quickly, not giving Alaric any time to say anything else. He could have ordered me to come back, but he didn't. He could have demanded answers but he didn't.

I did my usual morning routine and dressed in one of the formal looking outfits that Alaric had bought me. Alaric was taking me with him to the pack office again, and he had done so, ever since the meeting. Alaric wanted me to get used to being around the pack office and also observing whenever he had meetings with elders or different deltas. Every few days he would have a meeting with Elijah and Adam, they weren't very interesting but they were important.

I left my long raven hair down, falling in natural waves and I decided against wearing makeup, even though the dark half-moons under my eyes looked prominent.