27.

I feel the chemicals burn in my bloodstream
Fading out again
I feel the chemicals burn in my bloodstream
So tell me when it kicks in

Ed Sheeran

The next morning couldn't have come quick enough. I felt as though I hadn't even slept, so when Alaric had tried to wake me up I was of course reluctant.

"Valerie, wake up," Alaric's voice was soft, as he gently shook me.

"Five more minutes," I mumbled, trying to turn on my side but his arms were wrapped around me.

"I need you to wake up," he said again, his fingertips brushing against my cheek.

"Why," I groaned, popping one eye open.

"Do I need an excuse to  want my pretty mate to wake up?"

As always he looked more awake and put together than I ever did, I was pretty sure he didn't even need sleep to function.

"Yes, especially when said mate will go into heat later, so she'll need all the sleep she can get," I was fully awake now, with both eyes opened.

"Are you sure you don't want me around you?" Alaric asked.

I groaned against him, irritation washing over me. "Alaric, we've been over this-"

"I know Valerie but I'm worried about you," he said firmly.

"You need to let me go through it alone, promise me you will," I said, looking directly at him.

I could tell that he didn't want to make that promise, the internal battle in his brown eyes was clear to me that he didn't agree with me at all. Since we had spoken about my heat and my request to be alone, Alaric had been on edge. Although he was the powerful dominant Alpha, that everyone feared, he was still my mate. He needed to respect my wishes, even if they went against everything that he believed in.

"As your Alpha, you are under my protection Valerie-" I opened my mouth to speak but Alaric raised his hand up and I huffed in annoyance. "and as your mate, I act in your best interest, I can't promise that I'll stay away if I think you're at risk."

"But-"

"No, Valerie! My word is final," he growled out, his eyes flashing red for a moment before quickly returning back to brown.

I sighed heavily, pushing my body to sit up. "You can't keep doing this Alaric," I mumbled staring down at the duvet.

"Doing what? Caring about you? Wanting to protect you?" He scoffed.

"You know what I mean, you have to give me a choice and respect it."

"I can't respect it if I don't agree with it." His tone was firm and final, not allowing me to have another say at convincing him.

I groaned in annoyance and kicked the covers off my legs, whilst trying to pull away from Alaric's hold.

"You can't be annoyed with me," Alaric said, refusing to let go.

"I thought you wanted me to get up?" I said, with an eye roll.

"I do, but not with this tone and attitude."

"You can't keep controlling and deciding things for me-"

Alaric's glare instantly shut me up and I swallowed hard. His grip on me tightened, as red swirls danced around in his brown eyes. I was most definitely pissing him off and he was doing his utmost to control his annoyance.