Chapter 8

The rest of the week was a blur, (Y/N) found herself enjoying school for the most part. During school hours, she would avoid Atsumu, who seemed to have Akari attached at the hip.

Within no time, the weekend had rolled around, bringing about some great weather.

(Y/N)'s alarm blared loudly on Saturday morning. She gradually shifted in her sheets and opened her eyes, her clock read 7:15 am. (Y/N) knew she had to get up for her morning run but she didn't want to abandon her warm bed. She sat up and snatched her phone from her bedside table.

She groaned, seeing two more messages from Atsumu.

Atsumu Miya
Active 7 hours ago
---------------------------------

Atsumu: [Hey (Y/N)-Channn~]
Atsumu:[U accidentally left me on read:( ]
Atsumu:[Are u ignoring me (Y/N)-Chan?]      

She didn't feel like answering right now. 'Maybe I will later, I cant keep ignoring him. I'd rather not give him a reason to actually dislike me.' She thought to herself as she flipped the covers off of her bed.

(Y/N) threw on her volleyball shorts and a tight athletic shirt. She felt quite exposed but it was going to get very hot and not many people would see her out early on a Saturday morning.

She ripped off a piece of athletic tape for her wrist and wrapped it up in one fluid motion.

Stepping out the door, (Y/N) slipped in her earbuds and began a light jog. The morning sun was bright and the air was crisp: the perfect weather for a run. She ran past the convenience store, then the school, slowing down as she entered a less familiar neighborhood. Seeing a park in the distance, she sped up and approached it, her eyes lighting up at the sight of a comfortable-looking park bench. (Y/N) slid herself onto the bench and took in the beautiful scenery of the park. Fifteen minutes passed, (Y/N) felt so calm that she could fall asleep any moment.

Some ways away, under a tree, she could make out the silhouette of a little boy bumping a volleyball to himself. He eventually sat down, obviously bored of playing alone. (Y/N) stood up and made her way towards the tree the boy was resting under. He looked around eight or nine years old.

She crouched down to his level, "Would you like to play together?" She asked sweetly, motioning at the ball.

The young boy's face brightened immediately at (Y/N)'s offer.

"Really?" He grinned, "What's your name?"

"(Y/N). "

"(Y/N)-Senpai? I like that. My name is Sousuke."

"Senpai?" (Y/N) laughed, "Just (Y/N) is fine."

The two began to pass the ball back and forth. (Y/N) hardly felt any pain in her wrist, 'I guess I can start playing for the team in a few days.' She thought cheerfully.

Sousuke was good for his age, he definitely had potential to become a strong player when he was older. They continued with their fun little rally for what seemed like hours, rarely letting the ball drop. As the sun rays emerged over the trees, the light caught Sousuke's eyes, causing him to accidentally bump the ball with too much force.

The ball flew over (Y/N)'s head and rolled many meters behind her, off of the grass and onto one of the park's paths. It settled in front of another runner passing by. He stopped in his tracks, picking up the ball at his feet. He straightened up, golden hair glinting in the sun, looking around for the owner of the ball.

(Y/N) suddenly recognized the tall figure holding the ball. Atsumu.

He spotted (Y/N) in the grass with the young boy, "(Y/N)-Chan!" He called out.

He tossed the ball in front of him and spiked it directly back at (Y/N), instantly regretting it, seeing that she was not prepared for a volleyball hurtling directly at her face. (Y/N) took a second to recognize the powerful spike was about to strike her.

With lightning fast reflexes, she took a step back and lowered her stance, putting her arms together to bump the ball. It hit (Y/N)'s forearms, her perfect technique cushioning the impact of the ball and sending it in a flawless arch right into the hands of a shocked Atsumu. (Y/N) looked down at her stinging arms, Atsumu definitely didn't hold back on his swing.

"THAT WAS SO COOL!" Sousuke yelled, "You hit the ball so hard!" He jumped up and down looking at Atsumu. The little boy then turned to (Y/N), "HOW DID YOU RECEIVE THAT?!"

"Uhm, I guess just instinct," She said, staring daggers at Atsumu.

The golden haired boy remained speechless. He had heard that (Y/N) was a volleyball player, but didn't expect her to be very good. 'Maybe her receive was a fluke.' He thought to himself.

"Can you teach me how to do that (Y/N)?" Sousuke eyes gleamed at her in awe.

She pulled out her phone and checked the time. It was almost noon and her mother would be expecting her home by now. She felt bad leaving little Sousuke by himself again but knew she should probably head home.

"Sorry Sousuke, I have to go home for lunch. But you know what? I'll come back to the park next Saturday and teach you, okay?" She said, patting him on the head.

"Okay!" He squealed excitedly.

"Bye now!" (Y/N) stepped onto the path and began the jog towards her house.

Hearing someone running behind her, (Y/N) sped up, knowing it was probably Atsumu.

"(Y/N)! Slow down, you're going too fast." She turned to Atsumu and stuck out her tongue.

"I don't want to run with you."

"Whyyy- Let's be running buddies, Osamu's too lazy to come with me."

"No. Get your little girlfriend Akari to run with you."

"She's not my girlfriend," he whined as they passed the school.

"If you say so Atsumu." She paused, "You can be my running buddy if you tell me what Akari is holding against you."

"I can't say." She heard him grumble from behind her.

"Then I guess we can't run together." With that, (Y/N) sped up again, nearing her house at the end of the street.

She could still hear Atsumu behind her, but didn't care. She would be home within a matter of seconds and he couldn't follow her inside. Entering her yard, she froze, seeing her mother pulling some weeds from the garden.

Looking up she smiled, "(Y/N)! You're back just in time for lunch and-" She saw Atsumu slowing down just behind (Y/N), "Atsumu-San! It's great to see you again!"

"Hello (L/N)-San," He greeted (Y/N)'s mother with a grin.

"Don't be silly, (F/N) is fine." She laughed.

(Y/N) quickly interrupted, "I'm gonna have lunch. Bye Atsumu." She sprinted towards the door.

"You know what?" (Y/N)'s mother smiled, "Atsumu, you must be tired, would you like to join (Y/N) for lunch?"

"I would love that." Atsumu replied, flashing (Y/N) a cheeky wink.