Chapter 15

It was the familiar shine of his volleyball captain's silver hair. Kita was strolling with a group of people. Squinting his eyes, Atsumu realized he knew them all. He immediately recognized his brother, then Koharu, Suna, and... (Y/N).

(Y/N) looked stunning. The only time he had seen her dress up nicely was when she had come for dinner, but this time was different, the color red suited her so well. Yet it wasn't what she was wearing that captivated Atsumu so much. It was the joyful and genuine smile she had painted on her face.

She was holding a takeout box of takoyaki and was clearly savoring every bite. Suddenly, from behind her, a hand reached around, snatching the food. Osamu held up (Y/N)'s takoyaki balls in victory and picked one out with his fingers.

"Hey those are mine!" She laughed, jumping up and down as Osamu held them out of reach.

"Well next time you take my onigiris, you better think of the consequences." He said, popping another takoyaki ball into his mouth.

She giggled and chased Osamu around with an amused expression. Atsumu watched from inside the shop, feeling a pang of disappointment that he wasn't having fun with them too. He knew he had screwed up big time with (Y/N).

He didn't want to ruin her enjoyment today so he remained out of sight from the group, but Atsumu silently promised himself he'd make things right with her. Starting tomorrow, he would apologize and try to start fresh.

"Atsumu~" He groaned at the sound of Akari's demanding voice from the back of the store, "Come here Atsumu, I want you to help me decide what color I should get."

He turned his back to the (Y/N) and her friends and slowly sauntered over to the changeroom.

The group made their way towards the theatre, holding a heated debate on which movie to watch. On one hand, Suna and Koharu wanted to watch the new Avengers movie, while on the other hand, (Y/N) and Kita wanted to see the showing of the new Miyazaki movie.

"I don't want to see another boring anime." Koharu stood her ground.

"Koharu, you've never even seen a Miyazaki movie. I can tell you they are far from boring." Kita argued.

"Osamu!" Koharu turned to the grey-haired boy, "Since it's a split decision, you make the final call. A fun and action packed superhero movie? Or a Mirazaka-whatever movie?"

Osamu took a second to think. He honestly did not care what they watched, but after what happened yesterday, he would probably choose in (Y/N)'s favor to help cheer her up.

"I saw the Avengers movie last week, I don't want to see it again."

(Y/N)'s face lit up, "YAY! I've been waiting for so long to watch this!" She gave Kita a solid high five, and skipped into the theatre, the others close behind.

As they entered the theatre, Atsumu and Akari exited the clothing shop, Atsumu feeling blessed that Akari had finally chosen a color of shorts. A large, colorful movie poster caught his attention and he walked closer to it. Seeing Atsumu's interest in a movie, Akari grabbed his hand and pulled him into the theatre.

"We're gonna watch a movie." She chirped.

"Can we see the Miyazaki one?" He asked optimistically. He had waited months for it to come out into theatres.

"Gross, no. There's this romance one I want to see." She said, pointing to a sappy looking movie poster that made Atsumu want to vomit. Atsumu felt mentally exhausted, all he wanted to do was go home at this point.

"C'mon. It's going to start soon." They walked to the counter, paid for tickets, and began their movie.

---

Tears were streaming down Koharu's face as they stepped out from the dark theatre.

"I can't believe it's over. I did not expect it to end like that." She sniffled, "That was the best movie I've ever seen."

(Y/N) and Kita exchanged smirks, as they headed down the hallway towards the exit.

"Wait. I need to go to the washroom." (Y/N) changed course and ran back down the hall, turning the corner towards the theatre washrooms.

The ladies and mens rooms were right across from each other, (Y/N) dashed in and quickly went to the bathroom. Once finished, She vigorously washed her hands and dried them, looking back at the mirror to adjust her hair. She picked out a piece of popcorn caught on a strand and laughed to herself, remembering when Suna had thrown it at her head halfway through the movie. She stepped back from the counter and opened the door, unaware of somebody also exiting the men's bathroom across from her. She glanced up and found herself face to face with the last person she wanted to see.

There was a deafening silence, both of their minds were racing at a million miles an hour.

'What the hell is he doing here? Is he stalking me or something?' (Y/N) thought, alarmed.

'They came to the theatre? Shit. She probably thinks I'm stalking her.' Atsumu thought worriedly.

They stood motionless, neither breaking eye contact with each other. Atsumu was normally quite confident and level-headed in these types of situations, but strangely (Y/N) seemed to make his mind run blank.

Panicked, he blurted out, "Y-you look nice today."

"After everything, that's all you can say?" She spun on her heel furiously and left.

Atsumu put his palm on his face. A simple 'Sorry' would have been a hundred times better than what he had just spoken. But for some reason, (Y/N) made him a stuttering mess, not to mention he felt completely out of character around her.

(Y/N) approached her friends, her mind recalling what had just happened back there. She was livid, but what made her even more angry was that she had felt her face heat up into a blush at Atsumu's compliment.

"There you are (Y/N)." Koharu called, "We were starting to wonder if you got stuck in the toilet or something."

'I would've rather gotten stuck in the toilet than see Atsumu.' She thought bitterly.

The group left the theatre, then made their way outside the mall. It was starting to get dark and as everyone parted ways, Kita insisted on accompanying (Y/N) home.

They walked towards their neighborhood, enjoying the beautiful Tuesday evening sky, streaked a brilliant orange and red from the setting sun. It was so peaceful, (Y/N) almost didn't want it to end.

"(Y/N)?"

"Hm?"

"Did something happen after the movie? You seemed a bit upset when you came back from the washroom."

"Oh I-" She began to explain but stopped herself, not wanting Kita to worry, "It was nothing. I was just sad that the movie was over."

Kita was unconvinced but decided not to pry, he changed the subject, "When do you plan on beginning volleyball? Your wrist looks like it's in pretty good shape."

"Friday will be my first practice with the girl's volleyball club. But I think I will do a bit of individual training by myself in the gym on Thursday after the boy's team practice, just to prepare."

"Will you need a hand? I can toss balls for you." Kita asked, trying to hide the hopefulness in his voice.

"No worries. I'll be fine on my own."

Kita felt a little disappointed but did not press. They slowed down, arriving at the front of (Y/N)'s house and she thanked him for walking her home. As Kita left, he took a deep breath, trying to shake the tight feeling in his chest. No, he refused to admit he was developing feelings for (Y/N).