Chapter 36

For the rest of the week, things felt different for (Y/N). She was now seeing Atsumu in a completely new light. She absolutely loved the small conversations she had with him and felt overjoyed whenever he took time aside to be with her. This then brought up certain questions in her mind. Did he feel the same way about her? Should she confess?

During lunch on Friday, Kita noticed that (Y/N) was acting... happier. Atsumu had sat next to her at the table and they were joking around about someone named Sakusa. 'Sakusa Kiyoomi? The well known ace?' Kita wondered to himself.

Koharu leaned over and whispered to Kita, "Is it just me, or has (Y/N) been in a really good mood recently?"

Kita glanced at (Y/N), who was laughing and grabbing at something Atsumu was holding out of reach, "Maybe." He replied, feeling a twinge of jealousy.

On the other side of the table, Osamu and Suna exchanged knowing looks, as if saying, 'Yup. They both like each other.'

Once school finished, it was time for practice. (Y/N)'s team worked vigorously, preparing themselves for their big game next week. It was exciting, yet nerve wracking. (Y/N) pledged to herself that she would train hard and play her absolute best.

---

The days passed in no time, and (Y/N) woke up feeling shocked that the game was tomorrow. She recalled the last few days, where she had been practicing intensely. On Saturday she had trained with Atsumu and Sousuke, on Sunday her and the team had gone on a tough hike together, and Monday she had stayed extra late for individual practice.

Today, she got dressed into her uniform and headed out the door, meeting Kita for their walk to school.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" He asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be." She replied confidently.

For the whole walk, they discussed plays and techniques best used against the opponents. Kita explained the best strategy to counter the strong attacks they would face in the game. 'No wonder he's the captain of the boy's team.' (Y/N) thought to herself. 'He's very smart and technical. He can easily identify a team's strengths and weaknesses.'

They soon arrived in front of her classroom.

"Thank you Kita, the tips were super helpful and I really think we can win tomorrow." She smiled.

"You're welcome. I'm counting on you." Kita turned and left.

(Y/N) sat at her desk and Atsumu looked at her questioningly, "What was that about?"

"Oh Kita was just informing me on some strategies and stuff for the game tomorrow."

Atsumu frowned and bit his lip, "Hm ok." He quickly changed the subject, "So anyways, wanna do some extra training after practice with me and Osamu tonight?" He turned to Suna, "You can come too if you want."

"That sounds like a good idea!" (Y/N) exclaimed, glad she could spend some more time with Atsumu.

"Sure." Suna added quietly with a nod.

The sunny school day continued. (Y/N) and Atsumu received the mark back from their English project, almost getting 100%. They high fived in celebration, earning a glare from Akari who was sitting at the back of the class. Lately, Akari had been shooting (Y/N) more dirty looks than usual, but she just brushed them aside. She didn't care what the psycho-bitch thought of her.

After the bell rang for dismissal, the boys headed over to the gym for their practice. (Y/N) decided to sit with Koharu and watch, since her practice was right afterwards.

The boy's team played as well as usual, especially the twins, who were really on top of their game that day. Once finished, it was the girl's team's turn to use the court. Atsumu, Osamu, and Suna stayed to watch.

(Y/N) played exceptionally well, spiking the ball past almost any block in her way. Seeing that Atsumu was watching, she wanted to perform her best.

Within no time, practice was over and Sachi called them in for a quick talk, "Okay everybody, make sure you get lots of rest tonight and be prepared for our game tomorrow. It's right after school so I want you to be here in the gym as soon as you're dismissed."

The team cheered and Sachi turned to (Y/N), "I know you're staying late for extra practice with the boys so just make sure you don't overwork yourself. We need you at your best tomorrow."

"I understand, thank you." (Y/N) replied, then ran towards Suna and the twins, who were already setting up on the court.

They started with serves, (Y/N) switching back and forth between her regular jump serve and a jump float. Beside her, Suna tried a jump float but missed out the side.

"Yikes Suna." Osamu called, "I guess (Y/N) is better than you."

Suna grumbled, then served the next one directly at Osamu, hitting him hard in the thigh.

Next, the four of them began practicing spikes, with Atsumu setting them. (Y/N) pounded each ball to the ground without hesitation. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Atsumu looking at her with an impressed expression on his face. This gave her a warm feeling inside.

Once an hour passed and they decided to wrap things up. Suna and Osamu sat on the bench, exhausted.

"Get your lazy asses up and help put away the net." (Y/N) complained.

"Nah," Osamu stretched and took a swig of water, "You and Atsumu can clean up."

(Y/N) rolled her eyes and unhooked one side of the net. Atsumu grabbed the other side and together, they dragged it to the equipment room. It was dark inside and (Y/N) fumbled trying to hang the net. The hook was high up on the wall and she struggled to reach.

"Here I can help." Atsumu shuffled towards her and tried to take the net.

"Don't worry, I can do it." She jumped up and hooked the net, but slipped and tumbled backwards.

She fell right into Atsumu's arms, who had been expecting this to happen, "You're so stubborn (Y/N)." He teased, "You aren't tall enough to reach that." He grinned as he held her.

She huffed jokingly, "You're just being bossy. Don't make me dislike you." She poked his nose.

"That would suck if you disliked me." Atsumu started.

He then paused for a long moment then looked down at the girl in his arms, "Because (Y/N)... I like you."