Chapter 12

It was (Y/N)'s turn to sit out and watch the next game. She made herself comfortable in the grass and enjoyed the match in front of her.

The lively mood was crushed as Akari stepped out the back door and into the yard. (Y/N) internally screamed in frustration. Atsumu ran out behind her and grabbed one of the volleyballs scattered around the yard. He turned to Akari expectantly.

Akari took a step back, "There's no way I'm touching that thing."

Atsumu's face fell, "Are you sure?"

In response, Akari just made a disgusted face and took another step back.

Atsumu spotted (Y/N) sitting on the side and called out to her, "(Y/N)! Come pass with me!"

(Y/N) didn't move at first, but decided it wouldn't be a big deal if she just played pass with Atsumu. They began bumping and setting the ball to each other, (Y/N) well aware of Akari glaring at her from the side.

"Can we play next?" Atsumu asked, pointing at the court where her friends were in the middle of a game.

"Uhh, maybe." (Y/N) said, unsure if playing a match with Atsumu as her partner would make Akari even more agitated.

They continued their passing, oblivious to what was happening behind them. Akari had made her way over to the fence where everyone's bags lay in a heap.

Suna spiked the ball and Osamu stepped aside as it landed out. It rolled through the grass towards the fence and Osamu bent down to pick it up. He briefly looked up and saw Akari rummaging through the backpacks.

'Strange.' He thought to himself.

The match finished with Osamu and Kita winning. Atsumu bounded over, dragging (Y/N) with him.

"(Y/N) and I are next!" He grinned.

Kita took one look at her and said, "There's no way (Y/N) is playing until she cleans up the dirt on her face."

(Y/N)'s eyes widened, she had forgotten about her face plant in the dirt. She quickly ran inside and washed her face in the sink. She smiled to herself, she was overjoyed to finally be able to play volleyball again. Even Akari couldn't ruin that for her.

Returning back outside, (Y/N) saw Akari tugging on Atsumu's sleeve, "Can I borrow your English notes? I lost mine."

Akari knew perfectly well that Atsumu never did his English notes, but in order for her plan to work, she had to play dumb.

"Akari, I didn't do my English notes. I haven't for the last three weeks."

She slyly turned to (Y/N), "(Y/N) can I please, please, please, borrow your English notes?"

"I guess?" (Y/N) immediately regretted agreeing. She didn't want to help the psycho-bitch, it wasn't her problem. But it was too late now.

"I'll get them." (Y/N) crossed the yard, snatched her backpack, and returned to where Atsumu and Akari were standing.

(Y/N) unzipped her bag and two small slips of paper fluttered out and landed in the grass. They hadn't been there before, what even were they? There was a brief pause.

"(Y/N)?" She had never seen that look before on Atsumu's face.

"What?"

Atsumu crouched down and picked up the tickets, and suddenly raised his voice, "(Y/N), what the hell? Why were you hiding these in your bag?"

She just stared at him in genuine confusion, "What are those?" She questioned, reaching for the tickets in his hands.

Atsumu scowled at her and forcefully slapped her hand away, her wrist stung.

"Don't play stupid. You know exactly what you did, you dirty thief." He said threateningly.

"Atsumu- I don't understand what you're talking about."

At this point, everyone was listening. Osamu's gears were turning and he suddenly realized what had happened. He tried to stop his brother but Atsumu pushed him away.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME (Y/N)? I THOUGHT I COULD TRUST YOU BUT I GUESS NOT. YOU TURNED OUT TO BE JUST AS PATHETIC AS AKARI SAID YOU WERE."

"I-"

"These meant a lot to me." He held up the tickets, "If you wanted to come you should've just asked. To be honest, I was actually considering inviting you. But now that I see that you're a selfish and dishonest person, I'm glad I didn't."

(Y/N) looked down with her face flushed. Did he really think of her like that? Those words hurt more than the pain in her wrist.

"You are appalling. Get out of here, I don't wanna see your stupid face anymore."

Filled with confusion and shame, (Y/N) dashed out of the yard. Kita started towards the direction she had run in but stopped, it was probably best to leave her alone. With the tickets in hand, Atsumu stormed into the house and slammed the door.

---

(Y/N) arrived home out of breath. She had run all the way from Osamu's backyard to her house. She brushed past her mother, who looked at her daughter in bewilderment.

"(Y/N), are you-"

(Y/N) raced upstairs and shut her door with a loud bang before her mother could finish. She jumped under the blankets, no longer able to hold back the tears in her eyes. She had no idea why Atsumu had lashed out at her. She had no idea what those slips of paper were. She had no idea about ANYTHING. The only thing she knew for sure was that Atsumu had genuinely meant those hurtful words, (Y/N) could see it in his eyes.

She continued crying until she heard a tap on her door.

"(Y/N), your friend is here to see you." She heard her mother say from outside her room.

"I don't want to see anyone." Her voice was muffled from under the sheets.

The door slowly creaked open, "Please (Y/N)." Osamu said, stepping into the room.