Chapter 18

Atsumu had never watched (Y/N) play volleyball. Yes, she did receive a ball that he had spiked at her last weekend, but he assumed that it was a fluke. As well, he had not actually seen any of (Y/N)'s games in his backyard court.

He was frozen, standing at the gym doors in shock at seeing (Y/N)'s incredible jump serve. He had realized that he'd forgotten his jacket on his way home and had come back to retrieve it. The last thing he had expected to see in the gym was (Y/N) serving better than some of his teammates.

He watched in silence as (Y/N) picked up another ball and picked her next target. The middle bottle. She repeated the serve with the same intensity, but missed by a few inches. She cursed to herself and tried again, this time hitting it with astounding accuracy.

All that was left was the bottle to the far right. (Y/N) served and missed. She tried again, but with no luck. She attempted a few more times but continued to fail.

Noticing her shoelace had come undone, she crouched down to tie it back up.

All of a sudden, a figure dashed out of nowhere towards the service line and tossed a ball high in the air, doing a powerful jump serve and knocking the final bottle over.

(Y/N)'s stared at the bottle without a word, then quickly whipped around to see who had served it.

"Hey (Y/N)-Chan~" Atsumu smirked.

"You?!" She almost yelled.

"The one and only."

"Atsumu get out of here." She said angrily.

"Hold on, I only came to grab my jacket." He chuckled at her flushed face, "You seem a bit lonely practicing here all by yourself."

"I'm fine here by myself. It was actually quite nice until you showed up."

"Awww (Y/N), I said sorry, can we just make up and be friends again?" He whined.

"No."

"Please? I feel bad about what I said. How about I toss you some balls to hit." He grabbed the ball cart and dragged it to the net before (Y/N) could react.

"Atsumu, just leave. I don't need anyone to toss balls for me." She said, prickling with annoyance.

"I'm not leaving here until you agree." He said, pointing to where he had planted himself on the court.

(Y/N) rolled her eyes, sometimes this boy was such a child. Maybe if she hit a few of his tosses, he would finally leave her to practice in peace.

"Fine." She grumbled.

Atsumu's eyes lit up and he selected a ball from the cart. He threw it directly at (Y/N) and she bumped it up nicely towards him. He hopped up and set the ball to the wing spiker position, where (Y/N) was beginning her approach.

(Y/N) jumped and a familiar feeling washed over her, as if everything was moving in slow motion. She could see the ball approaching her from her right. Atsumu had set the ball so that its timing was completely perfect and precise. For a moment, (Y/N) saw the view from over the net, then spiked the ball sharply crosscourt.

It landed with a thud and both (Y/N) and Atsumu turned to each other in shock. (Y/N) had never hit such an accurate toss before, it had seemed to float right into the palm of her hand as she had swung at it. On the other hand, Atsumu was not expecting (Y/N) to jump so insanely high and hit the ball with such force.

"Jeez (Y/N). That was a lucky spike." Atsumu's chocolate brown eyes shined.

"LUCKY? That was not luck Atsumu, you dumbass." (Y/N) said defensively.

"Then prove it." He smiled devilishly.

"Okay, but your tosses better be just as good." She agreed.

They repeated the same motions of bumping, setting, and spiking, (Y/N) hitting the ball down the line even harder than her first spike. Atsumu's set was just as good as his first, if anything, it was even better. (Y/N) was annoyed that he was actually a ridiculously talented setter. This made her determined to keep hitting his tosses until he made a mistake so that she could criticize him.

They continued tossing and hitting, eventually losing track of the time. Neither wanted to be the first one to get tired and have to stop. It was clear that the two of them were pushing each other to their limits.

"HEY! You kids need to get out of here, it's getting late and I need to close the gymnasium." A voice suddenly interrupted (Y/N) mid-spike.

She lost concentration and completely missed the ball. Atsumu burst out laughing at (Y/N), who had finally messed up. She stared daggers at him and turned to the janitor, who was standing at the entrance of the gym.

"Sorry!" She bowed, "I'll clean up now."

They rushed to put away all of the equipment before they could get scolded again. (Y/N) was surprised that Atsumu had decided to help her, since technically it was her gym time and her responsibility to clean up. Once finished, she ran into the change room and threw on her regular clothes. Looking at her phone, she realized how late it was.

'Shit.' She thought frantically. Her parents had expected her home a long time ago.

She dashed out the gym in a frenzy, realizing if she sprinted, she would be home in about 20 minutes. She quickly passed Atsumu, who was getting on his bike.

"Woah, woah, hold on there." He said, catching hold of her arm, "I'll give you a ride home." He patted the back seat of his bike.

"Uhh, nope I'm good." She said, trying to pull herself from his grip.

"(Y/N), you're obviously late. Don't be stubborn, let me take you home."

She considered her options for a moment, it was true that if she got a ride, then she would probably be home in just over five minutes.

"C'mon, it's not like I'm gonna kidnap you."

(Y/N) sighed, "Okay. But this doesn't mean anything, I still think you're an asshole."

"Ouch. I really thought I was getting somewhere." He complained as (Y/N) seated herself on the back of his bike, "I'll get you home in no time." He added.

Atsumu was not kidding when he said that. He took off with so much speed that (Y/N) almost fell right off the back.

"(Y/N), do you want to become roadkill? Hold on to me." Atsumu called back as the wind rushed in her ears.

She did not like the idea of holding onto him, but reluctantly wrapped her arms around his warm waist. At first, she held on lightly, but Atsumu was biking like a total maniac, causing her to tighten her grip.

In no time, they arrived at her house.

"(Y/N), you can let go now, you're going to break my bones at this rate." Atsumu chuckled.

Realizing they had stopped, she released her arms from around Atsumu, "Well it's not my fault you don't know how to ride a bike." She flushed.

"Well, I got you home and that's what matters in the end." He grinned, "And I guess it's a bonus that I basically got a long hug from you the whole time." Atsumu winked and sped off before (Y/N) could yell at him.