Chapter 39

"Set me!" (Y/N) called loudly.

Sachi set the ball to her and she swung her arm fast and hard, contacting the ball at its peak. It landed in the court without a single player touching it. She cheered, then winced, her shoulder felt strained. Not only that, her ankle was starting to bug her as well.

But that didn't matter. She was going to continue playing her very best, just like how the team Japan players put 100% effort into everything they did. She was going to prove to Ass-tsumu that she wasn't bothered by his kiss with Akari. THAT SON OF A BITCH. How could she have ever liked him. He was probably just playing around with her emotions this whole time.

She took a deep breath and calmed herself. Now was not the time to think about that. She readied herself to continue playing.

The Kanzaki coach signalled to the referee for a timeout. Both teams made their way outside the court and into their huddles.

"You girls are doing great. Kanzaki doesn't know how to counter our attacks." The coach put his hands together, "I don't have much else to say. Just keep up the effort."

The team cheered and lined up, preparing to go back to the game. As (Y/N) stepped away, the coach put his hand on her shoulder.

"(Y/N), I think you should take a break, you look exhausted. I can switch you out for another player since there's no doubt that we are going to win this set."

"Wh- No coach!" She pleaded, "I promise I'm fine. I can keep going."

"Are you sure about that?" He gave her a sceptical look.

"Yes!"

"Okay. By the way, you're up to serve soon." The coach waved her off.

The game resumed, and in no time, it was (Y/N)'s turn to serve. It was the game point for Inarizaki, meaning that she had to make this one count.

She held the ball in front of her, selecting a spot on the court to aim. The left corner. She focused all of her mind into the serve. With her right hand, she tossed the ball high, then approached, gaining as much momentum as possible. With all of her energy, she jumped and swung at the ball. She hit it powerfully, sending it straight towards the back corner. There was no way the other team could get that. She was going to score a-

CRACK

(Y/N) landed with all of her weight on her right ankle. It gave out and she tumbled to the ground. She didn't move, confused as to what happened. Her ankle felt numb. She tried to stand up but the moment she began to put weight on her foot, waves of excruciating pain flooded through her.

No. This couldn't be happening. Not now. Not during this game. Not while Atsumu was watching. She tried to get up again but it felt as if there were knives stabbing through her ankle. She collapsed to the ground in defeat.

---

(Y/N) lay in the hospital bed, staring at the white ceiling. She had woken up an hour ago, after the anesthetics had worn off.

She recalled the events of yesterday.

The coach had run over to (Y/N), who was lying on the ground, and with the help of Sachi, they hoisted her up, helping her limp over to the bench. She had been immediately rushed to the hospital, where she found out that her ankle had been fractured in multiple places. This meant immediate surgery.

Her parents had visited her briefly this morning after her 'successful surgery', though it didn't feel successful. She wouldn't be able to play volleyball for the rest of the season. And even worse, after (Y/N) had been taken to the hospital, Kanzaki made a comeback and won the game.

Unfortunately, both of her parents had to go to work, meaning that she was stuck alone in the stuffy hospital room for the rest of the day.

(Y/N) buried her face in her hands, feeling like a failure. Everything in her life had been going so well. 'I guess it was all too good to be true.' She thought to herself. Almost all of her emotions seemed to have been sucked away, leaving her with only pain, disappointment, and shame.

She looked at the clock on the wall. It was 2:45pm, meaning that school would have just ended. The doctor had told her that it was best if she stayed at home for the rest of the week after her release from the hospital tomorrow.

There was a small tap on the door and a nurse walked in with a smile, "(Y/N). You have a visitor."

(Y/N) sat herself upright, her eyes widening when Kita entered the room, "Kita-San?"

"Hey there." He smiled softly and seated himself on the edge of the hospital bed, "I thought you might've been a bit lonely here so I came to keep you company."

"Don't you have practice right now? You're the captain, you shouldn't skip training." She said, feeling guilty.

"Don't worry about that." He held out a small red box, "I brought these for you. I figured you'd get sick of the gross hospital food."

(Y/N) took the box and lifted the lid to see an assortment of chocolates. Her stomach grumbled at the sight of the delicious treats.

"Kita! You didn't have to!" She exclaimed.

"You're in the hospital with an awful injury, it was only right to get you a gift."

(Y/N) grinned for the first time all day, "You're the best!" She leaned over and gave him a big hug. He wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly. She felt a familiar feeling of comfort, it reminded her of Atsumu's warm embrace. NO. Why was she thinking of that stupid Atsumu?

She pulled away from Kita and reached into the box of chocolates, popping one into her mouth, "Want one?" She motioned for him to take a piece.

"No thanks. They're for you."

She shrugged and put the chocolates to the side.

The two of them began chatting, making (Y/N) feel grateful for his company. He had been right, being by herself in the hospital had gotten very lonely. They talked for what seemed like hours until (Y/N) yawned loudly, she was getting tired. Kita eyed her, fidgeting around.

"What is it? You obviously have something to say." She looked at him inquisitively.

"You don't want to hear it."

"Yes I do." She said, curious as to what was on his mind.

"Well..." He paused, "(Y/N). I like you."

"Huh?" She stared at him in shock. Kita, who was the captain of the volleyball team... liked her? He never seemed interested in any girls. Had she heard him correctly?

"I d-don't know what to say." She hesitated, Kita was a great guy and she wished she could feel the same way but... something was holding her back. She remained silent.

He looked at her with a small smile, "Well, It's pretty clear you have feelings for Atsumu."

"What no- I..." She trailed off, at a loss for words.

"It's ok though, I didn't expect you to have feelings for me but I just needed to put it out there." He gave her a light pat on the head, "Anyways, it's probably time for me to leave now, I'll see you next week, though I doubt we can walk to school together because of your injury. Though...
maybe I can give you a piggyback ride." He chuckled and stood up.

"Wait Kita." She called to him, "I'm sorry." She mumbled.

"Sorry for what? Don't be sorry about your feelings." He gave her a meaningful look, "You seem to always be so happy when you're with Atsumu. You guys really are great for each other." He nodded a goodbye and exited the room.

(Y/N) closed her eyes and breathed deeply. Kita was right. She still had feelings for Atsumu. But she needed to put that aside, Atsumu was an asshole that was only toying around with her. It had hurt her so much to see him kiss Akari and she didn't want him in her life anymore. Seeing that was almost as painful as the fracture in her ankle.

She would deal with this issue next week. For now it was best to just get some rest. She closed her eyes and drifted off.