Chapter 31

On Monday morning, (Y/N) was buzzing with excitement for the game on Wednesday. She got dressed and skipped downstairs happily.

"Wow you're in a good mood this morning." Her mother said, "I assume it's because of your little... date on Wednesday?"

"IT IS NOT A DATE!" She cried, then added softly, "Uhh also, thank you for letting me skip school to go."

"Well you can't miss out on an opportunity like that, being absent for one day of school won't hurt." Her mother pointed out.

(Y/N) gave her a hug and shovelled down her breakfast. As she cleaned up her plate, she found herself lost in thought, 'Is Wednesday a date? No. We're just friends. Yes friends. But... Do I want this to be a date? Do I want to be more than friends?' She concentrated hard on the question. To be honest, she wasn't completely sure yet, but what she did know was that her feelings were definitely changing for Atsumu.

(Y/N) picked up her school bag and headed towards the door. She was supposed to walk with Kita and she didn't want to keep him waiting.

Kita had been standing outside. He gave (Y/N) a small smile when she came out.

"Good morning." He greeted her.

"Morning Kita-San. What's that?" She said curiously, pointing to the plastic bag held in his left hand.

"Before coming here, I bought some meat buns for us to share." He reached into the bag, pulled one out, and handed it to (Y/N).

"Thanks! These look so delicious!" She cheerfully munched on the snack as they walked towards the school.

They chatted about the usual, until Kita turned to her with a thoughtful look, "Doesn't your team have an important match next week?"

"Actually we do." (Y/N) said, recalling that someone had mentioned it at practice a few days ago, "I think in about a week we will play a match against the top ranked girl's volleyball team in Hyōgo. It'll be a tough match but I think we have a good chance."

"I think so too." Kita agreed. Inarizaki's girl's team was definitely capable of winning. They had already been strong, but now with (Y/N) as the new addition to the team, they were better than ever.

They arrived at the school and (Y/N) lifted her hand to say goodbye to Kita, but he stopped her, "I'll walk you to your classroom today." He wanted to spend a bit more time with her before class started.

"Wow Kita, you're acting like such a gentleman today, I didn't think you had it in you." (Y/N) teased him jokingly as they headed to her classroom together.

They made their way through the crowded hallways and approached (Y/N)'s classroom. Every so often, they would receive questioning looks from girls passing by. (Y/N) wasn't surprised by this since she was walking with the captain of the boy's volleyball team, who was quite popular with the girls. Though, it seemed as if he wasn't really interested in any of them. (Y/N) had heard from Koharu that he often got confessions but just flatly turned them down. She wondered if he liked anyone.

They arrived at the door and she bowed, "Thank you for walking me here. You don't need to next time, I feel bad since it's really out of your way."

"It's no problem." He looked into her (E/C) eyes, "I enjoy your company anyways." He turned and left, leaving (Y/N) standing at the door.

She went and sat down in her seat near Suna and Atsumu, who had already settled in.

Suna pulled his eyes away from the door and turned to (Y/N), "Was that Kita who you were talking to just now?" He asked, a bit puzzled.

"Yeah! He bought me meat buns this morning and walked me all the way to class." (Y/N) said.

"He did...?" Suna raised an eyebrow.

Atsumu's ears perked up at the sound of what (Y/N) had said. It was unlike Kita to do that for someone. Atsumu wasn't sure why, but he didn't like the idea of Kita giving (Y/N) all this attention, "He's probably just in a good mood today." He said, shrugging his shoulders in annoyance.

Suna stifled a laugh, it was blatantly obvious to him that Atsumu was jealous.

---

After school, practice began and was as intense as ever. (Y/N)'s team had split up into two sides and were playing against each other in a game. (Y/N)'s side was on game point and the rally seemed to drag on forever.

(Y/N), who was in the back row, watched as the ball was spiked towards them. Sachi was playing setter beside (Y/N) in the back row as well, and received the ball when it was hit towards her.

"Setter out!" Sachi called, signalling that she was unable to set the second contact.

Without hesitation, (Y/N) ran up, jumped towards the ball. 'Okay,' she thought to herself, 'Keep hands above the forehead... thumbs back... cushion the ball... finish your hands in the direction you want it to go...' She put her hands up and set the ball towards her wing spiker.

It floated towards the left side and met with the hitter's hand, who sent it straight down the line, scoring the winning point for their side. (Y/N) jumped up and cheered, then felt a hand on her shoulder.

It was Sachi, who stared at her in amazement, "Since when have you been so good at setting?"

"M-me?" At first, (Y/N) didn't know how she had done it. But then it dawned on her that Atsumu's voice had been ringing in her ears as she tossed it, instructing on what to do, "Ahh, well I just picked up a few tips recently that helped me improve my setting." She concluded.

"Haha that's great!" Exclaimed Sachi, "Just don't come for my spot as the team's setter." She jokingly poked (Y/N) in the side. The captain then turned to the rest of the team, "Okay everyone! Can you all come over here for a second?"

The girls came together in a circle and faced Sachi, who continued, "So as some of you may have heard, we have a really important game next week. It's very crucial that in the next few practices we work our hardest and mentally prepare ourselves for this game ok? I want us all to be prepared and play our best that day!"

The team cheered and wrapped up their practice, leaving (Y/N) bubbling with excitement. She was eager to play a strong team and most of all, she was ready to kick some ass.