Chapter 54 - Dylan

(A/N: Sorry if you hate time skips but there is probably going to be a few in the next two to three chapters. This chapter takes place six months after adopting Wesley.)

Maddie POV:
I was walking into the kitchen when my phone rang. I answered it and it was Susan from child services.

(M=Maddie, S=Susan)

M: Hello?

S: Hi, this is Susan from child services, Maddie I hate I have to ask you, were you looking to adopt more than one kid still. I have your file and it says you were thinking about possibly wanting more than one child.

M: I haven't talked about it with Elena since we adopted Wesley, why?

S: Well, I have a kid here that just witnessed a traumatic event, and he needs a home. The department took note of how good you two are with kids and we thought he could use a family like you.

M: We would gladly take him in.

S: Perfect, thank you. Would you be able to house him starting tonight?

M: Yes, but could I take a hour to talk to my wife and son about this before picking him up?

S: Of course. Goodbye.

M: Bye.

I just got off the phone with Susan and I guess we are taking in another kid, I wasn't about to let a child go without a home. Truth be told I was going to talk to Elena about us adopting again, but I never got around to it.

I walked into the living room where Elena and Wes were playing Monopoly. "I just got off the phone with Susan."

"What was she calling about?" Elena asked.

I sat down next to her and just flat out told her. There was no point bearing around the bush. "Susan said their was a child in need of a loving family and she thought ours would be the best to take him in."

"What did you say?"

"I told them we would. I know I should have talked to you and I'm sorry, but all I could think about was this kid who just had a traumatic experience going into a home that would love him."

"You're a good person Maddie, that's why you think like that. And I love you for it." Elena told me.

I looked over at Wes. "Hey bud, how does that sound, you getting a brother? Just know we are trying to in no way replace you. We love you, we just want to give another child a chance to be loved like you are. Does that make since?" Wes nodded. "Okay, lets go."

We drove to the child services office and met with Susan, Wes was playing in the front office as she walked us into her private office. She handed us a picture of a boy and said, "This is Dylan, he's thirteen. As I told you on the phone he witnessed a traumatic experience. He watched his previous foster mother get arrested for drug possession, obviously we need to start vetting our foster families better. That's why I called you. We felt that if we told him he was getting adopted it might help."

"We completely understand, and we would love to take him in." Elena replied.

We walked into the room where Dylan was sitting.

^^^Dylan

^^^Dylan

"Dylan, this is Elena and Maddie, they are adopting you. How does that sound?" Susan asked. I would have approached telling him that differently but, I couldn't change what happened. He just nodded. "They currently have a son named Wesley that I feel you will become good friends with." He just nodded again. "Okay, pack your bags. You are going home today."

Elena went outside to explain to Wes that Dylan is probably not going to talk for a bit, until he gets more comfortable and to let him have some space. I helped Dylan pack his things when I saw him fettling  with a necklace. "I like your necklace." I told him trying to make conversation.

A small and quiet "thanks" escaped his lips. I could tell he was going to be a bit harder to come out of his shell than Wes, but I know he would do it eventually and on his own terms. We packed all of his stuff and drove home, ready to start a new adventure with our two boys.