FIFTY-SIX

Chapter Fifty-Six
Money

The game was tied up, but Kira was benched for the rest of the game. This only made me slightly nervous, now there was one less werewolf on the field helping find the killer. I felt someone sit beside me, their shoulder brushing with mine. 

I turned my head, forcing a smile at the curly-headed girl who I'd just become friends with. She had food in her arms and a drink in her hands. Ashley pushed some of the food into the space between us on the bench. 

"I got some snacks," she breathed out, offering me the chilli nachos. My mouth began watering as I snatched it from her hands, "you are amazing." I stated before biting into one of the chips, the flavor of the chilli and cheese was incredible. 

Ashley laughed lightly, "I figured you'd like those. What happened while I was gone?" She nodded her head toward the game. I quickly swallowed my food and then sighed, "Kira got benched."  

I didn't miss the way Ashley's eyes immediately found Kira on the bench or the way her lips curved down when she looked away, but I didn't comment. Not. My. Business. I turned my attention back to the game, my gaze finding Liam. 

He was running with the ball in his stick and then it all happened so fast. One of the players from Davenport tripped him up, colliding with another player as he ran right under Liam's feet. I sucked in a gasp as Liam flipped over the player, landing harshly on his arm. A sickening crack was heard from where I was sitting. 

"Oh no, Liam..." I gasped, what if the assassin got a hold of him now? Liam was crying on the ground along with the other players and it took everything in me not to run out onto the field to see what was going on. "Oh my god, his arm," Ashley commented. 

Her brown eyes were round as saucers as she watched the scene in front of us. I watched as Scott and Stiles helped Liam to a standing position and after a moment his cries stopped. But, that other boy, the one from davenport, he was crying in pain as the paramedics carried him off the field. 

"Liam will be okay, that other boy is the one I'm worried about." I mumbled, a bad feeling settling in my stomach. Scott ran toward the locker rooms and I could see Stiles looking for me, probably to make sure I'm safe. "I'll be right back," I told Ashley, setting down my nachos and standing up. 

I began speed walking-- well, it was actually more similar to waddling-- toward Stiles. I watched his eyes flicker from me to the locker room and I knew he was having an internal battle: ditch the pregnant sister to follow my friend or wait. 

"What's happening?" I asked slightly out of breath as we began walking toward the locker room. Stiles was antsy his hands bouncing as he began talking about Garett and how he was the assassin and that they thought he'd be targeting Liam but, then Lydia sent them the new list and they found out this other kid was on the list. 

I nodded, my brows furrowed in worry. Scott could be walking in on the assassin, who knows what he's capable of! "We need to hurry," I began walking faster, my hands holding my stomach while I tried to move at a quicker rate. 

When we finally made it to the locker room, my eyes found Scott. He was breathing heavy and his eyes changed from red to their chocolate brown. There was a cord around his neck that he quickly tore off. 

I then looked to the floor where a girl was lying passed out beside the davenport guy. "W-what...." I didn't even need to ask, she tried to kill him but, Scott got the upper hand. "I think you need to call your dad."

♡♡♡

I was leaning against the hallway wall, waiting for Scott to finish talking with his dad so we could go home and talk... and eat. I was starving. My head was pounding and I could feel a headache coming on, all this assassin talk was stressing me out. 

"You okay?" I jumped slightly at the sudden sound of Liam's voice, my eyes popping open to find his. I smiled slightly, "don't worry about me. How're you doing? I know all this assassin stuff can be... overwhelming." 

Liam shifted slightly and his eyes fell to the ground for a moment, "I'm not too worried about that. We'll figure it out. Hey, I uh, I never got the chance to thank you..." He scratched the back of his neck, a nervous tick. 

I furrowed my brows, "thank me? For what?" Liam looked away for a moment, his eyes trained down the hall. "For helping me when Scott and Stiles kidnapped me." I had to try so hard not to laugh. At what point in my life did this become a conversation? Scott and Stiles kidnapping kids... what's next? Will we be covering up a murder? 

Instead I smiled at Liam, "of course I helped you. Those boys are... crazy sometimes, but they mean well. I'm sorry they pulled you into all of this, I know this was probably not how you saw your freshman year going." 

Before Liam could reply, Scott was walking up to us. "Where's Kira?" Liam and I turned our gaze to Scott, he looked tired. "She took off. Stiles told her about Lydia cracking the second part of the dead pool." 

Scott stiffened slightly, his gaze hardening which only added to my concern of our fox friend. "Her mom's on it." Liam cut back quickly, "everyone's on it." I put my hand on his shoulder, "that's not true, you're not on it." 

"Not yet," Liam seemed so sure that his name would be on it too and I don't blame him. Every supernatural creature in Beacon Hills was on that list, what would give him an exception. "There's still another third, right?" 

I turned my gaze to Scott, only to see him looking down the hallway, listening to something. I turned my head and saw Rafael talking with Violet while my dad and Agent Parrish stood by. After a moment I watched them walk down the hall. 

♡♡♡

Scott found a bag full of cash in Garret's locker last night, which I told him he should return to the police but, he insisted we take it because it might be Peter's money... not that Peter deserves that money. 

I walked out of Scott's bathroom the next morning my hair was damp and I was wearing one of my t-shirts and a pair of comfy shorts. I was not going to school today, that much I was sure of. Neither was Scott or Stiles, so I wasn't the only one skipping. 

Scott was sitting at the edge of his bed, his head hanging low when I stepped into his room. I frowned, "what's wrong?" His head turned to me quickly, as if I'd broken him from his thoughts. I could see the conflict in his eyes and I had a feeling I knew what it was about. 

With a sigh I tossed my towel in the hamper and then walked over to stand in front of Scott, I put my hands on either side of face. "The money isn't ours." I stated simply, rubbing my thumb across his cheek. 

Scott let out a sigh, his hands moving to grab my waist and his head moving to rest on my stomach as he spoke. "I know. But it could do some good. Help my mom with the house, help your dad with the hospital bills... help us."

My fingers wove into his dark mess of hair and I sighed, "I know, Scott. But, it's still not ours. We didn't earn it... it's stolen goods." He lifted his head and my hands dropped to his shoulders, his gaze was stuck on my stomach. 

"I wish you could hear them," Scott mumbled after a moment of silence. My brows furrowed and for a moment I was confused, but then it hit me. Scott can hear their hearts beating. I smiled, "I wish you could feel them... you'd understand why I'm uncomfortable all the time." 

As if on cue, Janey decided to kick near my ribs, hitting Scott's hand as she did so. It was so adorable, the way Scott smiled slightly with a hint of fear in his eyes. I don't blame him for being scared, I'm scared too, I'm just glad that even though he's terrified, he hasn't left me. 

"I love you," I whispered, my eyes scanning the face of Scott McCall. He met my gaze and smiled, "I love you too." 

A/N: I know it's short but, I didn't want to add any more to it, because the next part is kinda completely different from the theme of this chapter so, yeah. But, anyways, I hope you guys enjoy! I'm not too sure how I feel about this chapter... but, let me know your thoughts. 

I love you guys and it feels so good to be back to writing again! I missed it and you all! 

Don't forget to comment and vote if you feel like doing so. Until next time--XOXO!