19

S O P H I A | i was just a child

Trigger Warning: Descriptions of Rape, read with caution

Nerves are high after we finish callbacks. Ms. Howard left to put together the cast list with the choreographer and assistants. She said she likes to keep her choices fresh. Claire came with us today, so we are all sitting in a corner waiting in silence. I hope that I did okay in the director's mind. I hope I gave it my all, and my very best.

The stress is so consuming, I almost forget to breathe. "Hey you guys did great today, I have total faith in both of you." Claire breaks the silence. Maddie takes a huge sigh.

I pick at my skirt to take my mind off it.

We talk about how Liam reacted instead. We all laughed and joked about it for 10 minutes. Conversation comes naturally after that. Up until Ms. Howard's powerful presence bursts through the door.

"Okay, I want to say how proud I am of all of you, remember, do not complain, I don't want to hear it." She tells us to take a breath. "I am going to place the list on the board, no crowding."

When she places the paper on the board, everyone sprints. Gavin is first up. He hoots and walks away to celebrate with his friends. We're up next, the top of the cast list looks like this.

Danny: Gavin Parker

Sandy: Sophia Carrington

Rizzo: Kia Torres

Kenickie: Chase Evans

Frenchie: Eloise Miller

Marty: Madison Harbour

There was a lot more but that was all I needed to see.

I got Sandy.

I instantly freak out. Maddie and I are jumping and squealing like little kids. I'm so happy and proud of myself, honestly. Our celebration is cut short by Eloise's outburst of whining. "I got Frenchie! Are you kidding me?" She huffs in anger. I roll my eyes, I'm pretty sure only Maddie and I could see her tantrum. She runs up to Ms. Howard and stomps like a four year old.

Doesn't she realize that's a good role?

"Ms. Howard, there has to be some sort of mistake." She whines. I block it out after Ms. Howard dismisses her with a wave off her hand, gives one final congratulations to us and then leaves. Eloise tries to follow her but gives up eventually.

Kia comes over to congratulate us and I return the congratulations excitedly. We all give her hugs. Over Claire's shoulder, I see Eloise stomping over to us. Alexa follows like clockwork. Here we go. I'm mentally preparing for her to slap me.

"Congrats Sophia, first Carter, now you get Sandy, it's like you're me." She sneers.

I purse my lips at her, "You know I'm not dating Carter right? You can have him back." She ignores my response.

"Didn't you break up with Carter, he's moved on. When are you going to see that?" Claire blurts. Up until now she has cowered away from Eloise. I'm surprised.

"Well maybe you just want to hear more about what Anthony says about you." Eloise gets in her face. "Oh my god. Everyone take a breath" Maddie exclaims trying to calm down the situation.

"Actually Eloise, I don't think he said anything like that in my bedroom last night." Claire smirks.

I take a giant step back. Maddie nearly dies of shock. Alexa shrieks. This could turn into a cat fight. Thankfully Eloise just stands there shocked, eventually she grunts and stomps away. Alexa runs outside and starts crying. I can't believe that just happened. I cover my mouth to hold back a laugh.