20

C A R T E R | i'm not in love with her

"Gavin. Are you fucking kidding me?" I yell after Sophia leaves.

I should have never opened that fucking notebook, and I couldn't say anything when she asked me.

I mean, Gavin technically did ask her first, and she's too nice to turn him down. It's times like these that I wish she was a bitch, then she might be going with me. I jump onto my bed. I continue yelling in frustration when Natalia bursts open my door, she looks really annoyed. I didn't even notice she came home.

"Can you not yell so loud, Bianca is over and you're disrupting our baking." She whines.

"Fuck off." I say back. She rolls her eyes, "Your lucky mom's not home, she'd whoop your ass back to Cuba for speaking to me like that." She joins me on the bed.

"Nat, it's 9:30 why are you baking?" She shrugs but still doesn't leave my room. "Please go away." I groan. "Nope, not until you tell me." I roll my eyes.

"Puta." I mutter. Her head jolts up and she flips me off.

"Hey just because you're upset doesn't mean that you can take it out on me." She slaps my leg a little too hard. "I want to get back to my cupcakes, you're too loud, and clearly something is bothering you, so speak." She sounds like mom, it's scary. I don't want another version of that woman.

I sigh, "I asked Sophia to the dance but she's already going with Gavin." She's holding back a smile. "You, Carter Marquez got rejected, what a scandal." She gasps sarcastically. I shoot her a glare.

"Okay, get out." I pick her up and try to walk towards the door. She squirms out of my arms.

"Sorry, continue." She laughs after I put her down. "Nat, I really like this girl." I really do.

"Wow, I like this new side of you, the Carter who would have a different girl every week was a jackass and you stressed mom out." Natalia stands up, I wrap my arms around her bony body. "We have thin walls." She whispers. I swat her arm and she finally leaves.

"Love you bitch." I yell when she's in the hallway jokingly. "Love you too man whore." She yells back from the other room.

I lie down and look at the ceiling for a while. I let the white noise of the ceiling fan take over until it makes me go crazy. 

Hunter told me over the phone that step two was making her jealous. Okay, I don't think that will work. I'm the one who's jealous. I have one day to find a date. Ugh, I really I don't want to do this. I go onto my phone and search through my dms. There are about ten girls I see at first. They're all hot, but none of them are beautiful like Sophia. Half of them go to my school.

No, I'm not going down that road again.

I might as well get some sleep. I'm dreading tomorrow.

There is probably going to be another house party tomorrow. As much as I don't want to, I know I will end up going. Hunter, Leo, and Chloe are coming over tomorrow morning. His plan is not really working. I'm just really mad. I'm mad at Sophia for going with Gavin, I'm mad at Gavin, I'm mad at Hunter for this stupid plan, but mostly I'm mad at myself. For not trying harder, for not asking earlier. I meant what I said when I did want to make it official. I was so stupid to not ask her first.

I wake up to Hunter and Leo jumping on my legs.

"Wake up sweetie." Hunter says mockingly in a high pitched tone. I push them off and groan as I try to sit up.

"It's 8 am guys." I yawn.

"Exactly. We are hanging out and mentally preparing you for the dance." Chloe's voice startles me from my desk. I roll my eyes.